Schwinn Clairmont build questions

GoldenMotor.com

WightBoy

Aug 30, 2012
Michigan, USA
Alright, another newb question/concern.

I have the Clairmont and plan to go with the EZM kit. I just have one question. I need to register this thing as a moped here in MI due to insurance reasons which most of you know that the rule is 30mph, 2bhp, and 49cc or less. That's where my issue comes in. I wanted to get the kit with the HS 144 (the generator one) but just read that it is a 53cc. This puts a stop to my plans as I don't think I will be able to register it. What options do I have to power lights and such if I go with the smaller 4 stroke engines? I really want to avoid rechargeable batteries. If I did decide on the HS144, what are the odds I could squeak it past and get it "legal"? Also would a 3 piece crank be able to clear something this wide? Thanks for any help.

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
there is a few guys from up in your area to help with your legal questions are you stuck on wanting a 4 stroke. the 2 stroke has a white wire for running lights at 6v also 3 piece cranks can be gotten in different sizes to adjust for your motor size hope some of it helps

WightBoy

Aug 30, 2012
Michigan, USA
I wouldn't say I am stuck on 4 stroke. I like the EZM transmission though. If I went 2 stroke, it would most likely be a Tanaka which poses another problem. I want to do a center mount and have no clue how I would do it with one of those. I shot EZM an email asking if 2 strokes were compatible such as the Tanaka but they were unsure. If someone knew if that could be done it would be sweet. I haven't been able to find any specs on the Tanaka's output shaft and mounting bolt pattern though.

WightBoy

Aug 30, 2012
Michigan, USA
Okay, so now it would just be finding out what type of output shaft it has. All the photos I have seen just show it with the clutch shoes installed or already connected to a trans of some sort. Also if the bolt locations are in the right spots for mounting to an EZM, if not if there is a transmission that would allow for a mid frame mount.

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
why do you need a transmission? i have a 66cc 2 stoke flying horse kit and do 35mph with it stock and on here there are guys with the 49cc doing the same just takes longer

WightBoy

Aug 30, 2012
Michigan, USA
This is the email I got from Quenton

"The Q-Matic drive has been tested and used on a wide variety of 4 stroke motors from 1.5 HP to 28 HP {B & S Vanguard}.

The drive has never been attached to any 2 stroke motor that we are aware of, however I can't think of any reason it wouldn't work. If the motor has an extended crankshaft that could hold a 2" v-belt pulley and has a flat surface to attach the aluminum Q-matic drive plate to it should work. The primary ratio of the drive is 2.735 X 1 and the output clutch drive is a 10 tooth #41 sprocket."

Based on pictures alone I can see there is a flat mounting surface but I have hit the same wall in not being able to find the size output shaft. I have thought about some sort of adapter to work with the clutch that appears to be on the engine. But that would introduce a second clutch into the equation and I'm not sure how that would perform.

WightBoy

Aug 30, 2012
Michigan, USA
Another question. I am looking at a set of worksman wheels for my build but was wondering if a rear drum would work. The specs I was given are that the rear drum is 135mm vs the 110mm that the shimano coaster has. The reason I am looking at drum is for the pedal side freewheel. The bike came with a 7spd and that rim measures 135mm so I know the dropouts are far enough apart, just not sure if I will be able to align the chain on the left side. Does anybody have experience in this? The kit I will be using will be the Qmatic if that helps.

WightBoy

Aug 30, 2012
Michigan, USA
Update: I now have a functional motorized bicycle running a EZM Qmatic with the HS49cc, worksman aluminum wheels w/ stainless 12g spokes, pirate cycles sprocket adapter w/ 56 tooth sprocket and a SBP throttle. The thing runs awesome but it is a rough ride. I need front suspension badly and that is where I am stuck. I really want to get the monark II forks but do not know if they fit. Does anybody know how long my head tube has to be for these to work? I emailed monark but have not heard back from them yet so I was hoping to find an answer here. If anybody can help me out here, Thanks in advance!

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
Update: I now have a functional motorized bicycle running a EZM Qmatic with the HS49cc, worksman aluminum wheels w/ stainless 12g spokes, pirate cycles sprocket adapter w/ 56 tooth sprocket and a SBP throttle. The thing runs awesome but it is a rough ride. I need front suspension badly and that is where I am stuck. I really want to get the monark II forks but do not know if they fit. Does anybody know how long my head tube has to be for these to work? I emailed monark but have not heard back from them yet so I was hoping to find an answer here. If anybody can help me out here, Thanks in advance!
Try PMing Venice Motor Bikes, or ask in his Monark post in the swap and shop section. He has a killer deal right now for $150 shipped and should be able to answer your questions.