WCC SO-CAL Special Frame Build....

GoldenMotor.com

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
I like how long it is... should track nicely at speed; I know others have said it... but man, you do NICE work! I'm a newb, and have only done one MB build, but nothing like this, man. I slapped together a Chinese 2 cycle Grubee, back when he was starting out, on a stretch cruiser frame... engine looked pathetically small for a bike its size, I've been looking for something... more "substantial" since. I've got an idea for a build though, looks NOTHING like anything I've seen here. I wish I had your skills (and tools!) But being on a Veterans pension doesn't give me much in the way of spare change! I have to find me a welding buddy, locally. What do you charge for a frame-only build?

Mac-
Thanks Mac for the kind words. I am having fun with the bike building and kinda hooked on my own frame building. At this time I am only building bikes for fun and racing.

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
Latest update as of today:

I have made some updates to the race bike:

The motor was moving quite a bit in the frame when under heavy acceleration, added a stout top mount to hold this beast, made a big difference that’s for sure...no more having my crowns glued back in...This bike did loosen a few no BS.lafflaff

I was not really happy with the exhaust, made a new three stage...big difference in performance, saved a pound or two.

Changed the pedals to these Bear Trap type, way better and secure, no more feet slipping off. The only problem is if I get out of control these are going to eat me up on my legs for sure...

Attachments

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
A couple more items that were changed:

The bike had issues with trying to stop it on the race track or should I say slow it down. The back moped drum hub sucks for braking so my only other options were to step up the front brake for the third time. I did some good research and this is the new set-up...don’t ask what I have cuz I won’t tell...do your own leg work...all you wanta be jockers...

I changed the tires to all I will say is 24 X 3... The rest is top secret. They lowered the bike 3/8 of an inch...

The over-all performance of this bike is awesome. It’s such a handful it’s hard to race for myself. I am out of shape and too fat to be competitive...the Iceman is out of commission for some time so I may be forced to get in some kind of shape which is not a bad thing...

Check out Iceman in the picture background...Poor Baby....laff.bf.

Scotto....watch out...thats all I can say...My Friend...

Attachments

Last edited:

nostyle

Nov 27, 2009
Cambodia Town
Really nice looking M-bike. Really looks tough and aggressive.
No matter what shape your in, your going to be hard too pass.
Very inspirational. Looking forward to see it in person.

I have a schwinn springer for sale, (if your son is interested, just pm me) and I can bring it by on the way home.

The race is going to be fun!

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
ccc, it's really impressive looking!

I've got to go back and re-read this thread to catch up, but I'm glad to hear you went with a top motor mount. I think I had discussed it with Pat a while back, before he was ready to use one... don't know if he does, now.

Are you open to criticism on this build? :)
I ain't got much more than 2 cents, but it's usually a gud deal for free! lol

got a few ideas that would help out the Iceman when he's back in the saddle, but got no jenny craig ideas... ;-)

...yah, ex outlet has at least gotta be further back to spare the rider...

Best
rc

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
jeff & iceman, always thinking out of the box. that's why everyone is chasing you. nice floating brake's are a step ahead of everyone else. and tires with sidewalls what's next forced induction? cant wait! dennis

Dogtown Burner

Sep 15, 2011
Los Angeles
dude. duuuuuude. Thats a bike! i mean, "that's a bicycle?!" lol. great work Jeff. truly a piece of Art. that thing looks fun, get in shape! ( i've got 20 to drop in 2 weeks personally, think its possible? hahaha) glad we're in different classes!
dnut

gearjnkee

Aug 29, 2012
HogTown
outsanding build.. love the jig as well. better than $2500. for a henry james. great idea. may i ask what your bottom bracket hieght is? on a pedal bike she'd ride like a slug...lol. i'm trying to get input on what works for mb... anyway, mad props.

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
outsanding build.. love the jig as well. better than $2500. for a henry james. great idea. may i ask what your bottom bracket hieght is? on a pedal bike she'd ride like a slug...lol. i'm trying to get input on what works for mb... anyway, mad props.
The bottom bracket is 9 in from the ground to center.

I made a post on the jig... It has worked really well and easy to make.

SoSauty

Feb 4, 2011
Bako, CA
Looks to be great entertainment this 9/15 in the thumper class. Stopping is half of racing. Looks real nice and fast too.

atombikes

Feb 14, 2010
Northern VA
CCC-
Wow, fantastic build!

Question about your pedal side cranks (pic attached). Are you running a 5/8" jackshaft with reamed moped cranks in a bottom bracket shell? Smart- I thought it was my original idea for a cheap wide crank set...oh well.

If so, are those 1.375" OD/ .625" ID bearings in the bottom bracket? And then you use some sort of machined adapter for the bottom bracket shell?

If my assumptions are correct, that'll be two design features I can see in this pic that I will be hijacking for my build. :)

Last edited:

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
Thanks everyone for the comments...

I had an old suppressor lying around (JK) that I used for an oil catch can. It’s not really a suppressor...sure looks like it could be tho. Well it did not work too well, filled up fast and blew oil out the top vent area all over the back tire...maybe that was my problem with traction...da...

I made a new one that is more than twice the size as far as storage, added a site tube to know when to drain. Welded on a tube clamp to hold it. This took some real time to complete but worth it I guess. Good practice for when I build that Street Tracker I want...

This should be a good upgrade, ordered a small vent filter for it...

Attachments

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
That turned out really nice Jeff, even better than I had pictured! It's only slightly more exotic than my latest catch can and a fair bit costlier I'm sure. :D

Cute monkey eh? TIG.......nope, JB laff

dnut