PLASTI DIP Experiment On FD Roller...Failure

GoldenMotor.com

beach cruiser

Mar 13, 2012
Puget Sound Convergence Zone
Finally found the time to install the Plasti Dipped shaft on the bike and conduct trial runs. What seemed to be a good idea turned out to be a failure after only a mile. It had really good bite at first but it quickly wore away. The Plasti Dip was brushed on (3 coats) with glass blasting media applied in 2 coats. The Plasti Dip was allowed to dry 1 full day between coats so curing was not the reason for the failure.

Attachments

Last edited:

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Too bad that failed so fast Beach, it sounded promising.

What about trying the grit in fiberglass epoxy? Should last longer than a mile at least.

MTB Moto

Dec 4, 2009
USA
Great experiment, as you never know what the next big thing will be...

...how about truck bed coatings?

Trying is what makes the world go round!

MTB Moto
dance1

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Beach, I'm not in any way trying to be judgmental but I'm curious about your motive for this experiment.

What was the reason for it? Were you having slipping problems or trying to increase roller diameter? My experience with friction drive is limited but from what I know and working with Dax, the roller needs to be darn tight against the tire to reduce the slipping. I've ridden Duane's bikes on wet streets and experienced no noticable slip. Having the roller tight does not seem to increase tire wear, in fact it reduces it because of the less slippage.

Tom

beach cruiser

Mar 13, 2012
Puget Sound Convergence Zone
Beach, I'm not in any way trying to be judgmental but I'm curious about your motive for this experiment.

What was the reason for it? Were you having slipping problems or trying to increase roller diameter? My experience with friction drive is limited but from what I know and working with Dax, the roller needs to be darn tight against the tire to reduce the slipping. I've ridden Duane's bikes on wet streets and experienced no noticable slip. Having the roller tight does not seem to increase tire wear, in fact it reduces it because of the less slippage.

Tom
I now believe the problem has to do with the size of the engine. I purchased the XC-35 for my wife which is only 1.5 hp. and I'm pushing 220 lbs. of spuds around I went ahead and installed it on one of my other bikes to test it out and I found that I was actually doing more pedaling than than relaxing lol. On a perfectly flat road I'd only get up to 10 t0 12 miles an hr tops and that was with me pedaling/having the roller overly snug too. I plan on purchasing a Super Titan from Dax for my bike.