Crank seal???

GoldenMotor.com

Christian Dorn

Aug 15, 2010
San Clemente ,California
I have Starfire 58cc GenII ,with a Blown crank seal. Numbers on seal say 17 x 29 x 3.8 , but all I can find on the linked websites is a different seal, measurements 14.8 x 27 x 3.8 so I ordered one from Piston Bikes and it's about a 1/8" smaller in diameter! Where can I find one that will fit my Star fire?

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I just checked my stash. It's not like any I have. Have you checked with a bearing house? Most of them sell seals too.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
What he said.. Bearings and seals are standardized all over the world, even in China, and are stocked localy in most cities. NAPA and other auto parts stores can order them if they don't stock the one you need.

fonzie

Nov 13, 2011
Dillsburg, pa
Transformer cycles in England stocks all the starfire parts. I even got a Starfire GT-4 (Super Rat equivilant) engine from them. Shipping takes a little while but they stock all the parts. Just google them for their site.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Hello there Dorn,

Here is a link to where I ordered my crank seals, they are 5mm in width instead of 3.8mm and the picture that is used on the web site is wrong but the top choise ( Grey Nitrile Seal ) is the ones I have they are correct width for the gear side of the crank and I'm pretty sure they will also work on the mag. side as well. less than $3 and I think with some care the seal can actually be worked down 1-2mm's in width because the outer frame of the seal is wider than the sealing area itself, I have been planning to do that myself on a piece of coarse sandpaper taped down on a flat piece of glass.

Anyway here is the link. best wishes. and remember the seal in the pic on this site is wrong but the seal is correct.

http://www.motionindustries.com/motion3/jsp/mii/productSearch.jsp

Peace, Map

I have Starfire 58cc GenII ,with a Blown crank seal. Numbers on seal say 17 x 29 x 3.8 , but all I can find on the linked websites is a different seal, measurements 14.8 x 27 x 3.8 so I ordered one from Piston Bikes and it's about a 1/8" smaller in diameter! Where can I find one that will fit my Star fire?

Attachments

Last edited:

Christian Dorn

Aug 15, 2010
San Clemente ,California
Tried link, didn't work. Did you call to order the seal? Saw in a related post Motion Industries were not very helpful , and you had to order in bulk. How long did it take to get? Tried four different auto part stores and motorcycle shop with no luck!!

Last edited:

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
The link works just fine, all you need to do is type in the seal demensions in the search box

just type in ( 17X29X5 ) and click the GO button over to the right, the first seal listed is the ones I have, like I said before the pic is wrong but the seal is right.

Map

Tried link, didn't work. Did you call to order the seal? Saw in a related post Motion Industries were not very helpful , and you had to order in bulk. How long did it take to get? Tried four different auto part stores and motorcycle shop with no luck!!

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I actually looked this up on the web and then took the part number and dimensions down to my local Motion Industries Store and had them order it for me, best I remember it only took 3 or 4 days, it came out of either Alabama or North Carolina warehouse I ordered bearings and seals the same day and each came from one of there warehouses in one of those states.

Shouldn't take any longer if just ordered I would think.

Peace, Map

Got it to work ,thanx mapbike. How long did it take to ship?

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Hello there Dorn,

Here is a link to where I ordered my crank seals, they are 5mm in width instead of 3.8mm and the picture that is used on the web site is wrong but the top choise ( Grey Nitrile Seal ) is the ones I have they are correct width for the gear side of the crank and I'm pretty sure they will also work on the mag. side as well. less than $3 and I think with some care the seal can actually be worked down 1-2mm's in width because the outer frame of the seal is wider than the sealing area itself, I have been planning to do that myself on a piece of coarse sandpaper taped down on a flat piece of glass.

Anyway here is the link. best wishes. and remember the seal in the pic on this site is wrong but the seal is correct.

http://www.motionindustries.com/motion3/jsp/mii/productSearch.jsp

Peace, Map
i tried this link for 14.8 x 27 x 3.8 but no results. Same for 5 mm and also the 7.5 mm.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I didn't know the HT engines used anything but the 17x29x3.8 under the rotor and the 17x29x5 under the gear.

Is this so that some actually use a different size? ( 14.8 x 27 x 3.8 )

Have I had it wrong all this time....? if so I need to be looking for that other size as well I guess.

I hope the seals I have aren't wrong for my engines.....LOL! if so that will really stink being I have eight of them now...

Peace, map

Last edited:

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Dang-it I just pulled the rotor and the gear off my PK-80 and it uses 14.8 X 27 X 3.8 under the rotor and 14.8 X 27 X 7.5 under the gear, so the seals I have wont work on this engine for sure, I planned on upgrading the seals on this engine before I build it up for a bike so it looks like I'm in the market for the same seals as you are biknut..........!

Peace, Map