cherokeemotorbikes

GoldenMotor.com

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
Also, let's face the facts... If you are going to get sued, you can get sued nowadays for anything.....
Realistically yes you can be sued over almost anything. That is not the issue the real issue is how well you do due dilligance to make things as safe as possible to current standards. If you make a hot rod today for someone and use drum brakes all around which was the industry standard for 1960 you can expect to be sued when a dumb a** doesnt understand the effect of rain on drums or heat related brake fade and crashes into a wall This is an undefendable position.... Where if you build a product with 4 wheel disc brakes that are to current industry standards you have a stance that is defendable if the user has an accident with your product. Fact is if you build this frame and simply braze it you WILL have some degree of failure. If you get sued once you will most likely go broke. No ifs, ands or buts about it.

Last edited:

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
I braze all my frames, motorized and pedal and I haven't had a failure. My last motor bike was all filet brazed with a 2.5 hf zero problems.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I would still put those old lugged style frames especially with good steel a league ahead of anything from today's typical Target , Kmart, Toys are Us, Walmart, Chinese Specials I think.

Besides it will prolly be around 6 hp any way.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
A properly brazed frame is superior to a poorly welded frame.
Welding can easily crystalize the metal, which could crack at any time.
At least a braze has some flex to it.

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
I agree with you both to a degree but if you live in the real world and not the world of sunshine and smiles especially building a frame for myself then all is good, I will take my scrapes as they come and not whine about them. If I am going to place a frame out there to the public I will darn sure make it bullet proof and do my darndest to not get sued. Be that as it may lets see if this hot rod actually float and comes to productions before debating the minor problems. We have all seen the problems encountered by Cam on a V twin and if the frame is the predictor of the final design I predict it will be another let down.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Brazing is a fine art if the metal is made to hot it will crack next to the weld not at the weld. This is typically how all brazed frames crack. I believe the proper term is HSS temper that gets compromised. If a guy knows what he is doing a brazed frame can be very strong.

The art is truly with the experienced welder. That said I think tig welding trumps all forms of welding because the strength of the metal right near the weld is not compromised. I still have some faith in a lugged frame way more than today's department store stuff.

Last edited:

Vistaman73

Chat Box Junkie
Nov 29, 2009
Shawnee, Kansas
Can we get back to the engine??????? I am really interested and would like to know the history of how this engine was made. The heads are the wrong way though, I know its for fitment but it needs air in the fins. Hoping to here more about this engine soon thanks.

cherokeemotorbikes

Jul 9, 2011
Texas
Thanks for the chat. I am Jerry the designer and builder of the first of many Cherokee Motorbikes..... I am an inventor, Master Tool and Die Maker, Machinist, Artist and businessman.... (I have been working with metal for over 40 years) I am in the process of finishing the prototype motor. It is not really a V-Twin... It is 2 motors running indepentantly together. In other words... If you remove one of the plugs you can still travel on one motor. As far as the heads facing the wrong way. Not a problem.... done deal... As far as the choice on welding or brazing the frame... my choice is to braze.... As far as insurance on the product.... Not a problem either.... Once I finally mount the motor today... final design and mock-up will happen..... I have been faced many design issues with this project. All of them have been solved including some you have posted.... I want to thank all of you for your input... To have a product that is criticized is not a problem…

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
That engine is sold on new road motorcycles that are advertised as having a "cruise speed of 80mph". xct2

I think I will just save my pennies for this instead of having any more wet dreams of china girl v twins that seem to never make it to life... Wonder if I can find a big nuff shoe horn to cram it into a stretch??? There used to be a 125 cc V on ebay but I cant find it any more...

LIFAN 250CC V-TWIN HONDA ENGINE MOTOR MINI CHOPPER BIKE

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
A Briggs Vanguard may be the most easily obtainable v-twin. They look cool with the shroud off.

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
Beautiful work on this engine. Having been taught by an old school tradesman (my Dad) I can really appreciate the talent that's on display in these photographs.

Not wanting to stir the pot, but the comments about brazed frames being weaker or more prone to faults is no more than empty wobble-gobbing. The best motorcycles of yesteryear had brazed frames and the only reason the modern motorcycle industry bypassed it was that it was a more expensive process and you needed skilled tradespeople to do it.

(Well Ok I did stir the pot a little :) )