Making Your Exhaust Smell Nice

GoldenMotor.com

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Has anyone wanted to make their engine exhaust smell a little nicer by adding some citronella or pine oil to their fuel?
Anyone try it?
The citronella oil that they sell for use with those Tiki lamps burns, so it might not be too bad for the engine, but I don't know about gumming up and/or carbon deposits that they might cause.

Ruby478

Apr 2, 2011
Dallas,Tx
i use the strawberry 2 stroke oil from pirate cycles it works great and i get better performance out of my engine just wish they had something other than strawberry but its good enough for now

retromike3

Jan 9, 2009
Beaverton OR
I hate to be a killjoy but I think that if you want to keep your engine going without adding additional wear to your moving parts i would keep clear of anything but the required oil. The way my bike runs I get a bit of smoke at first but after it warms up it hardly smokes at all. Now I do use a tuned pipe so maybe it burns a bit cleaner than a stock motor but I would not add anything but just oil to your fuel.

Perhaps you could carry a sent bottle wherever you go and spray the air around you. Of course you know that would be adding quite a bit to the local air pollution.

mike

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
I have seen scented fuel additives for sale in a variety of aromas in a motorcycle magazine somewhere. Mighta been a Harley specific mag, or catalog.

Try googling "scented fuel additives" and you'll prolly find something

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Well, I have an idea, but I think you'd need a poo-poo-pipe to take advantage of it: you know how some places have this incense or essential oil that you warm by candle or in a tray on a light bulb? You could use a funnel and put a small amount into the muffler. And if you put Citronella oil into there you could drive through a cloud of mosquitos and watch 'em part like the Red Sea. Or pour in a little Patchouli or Nag Champa and you'd smell like a drive-by pot party. Dang! I'm getting some ideas myself.

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
I fly RC airplanes and Parma makes some various scents to add to Nitro fuel. I have never used it in any of my gasoline powered planes, but I don't knnow why a little couldn't be used in gas as well as alcohol. Here is a link to Tower Hobbies that sell the scented fuel oils if you want to check them out. Scroll down the page to Parma.
TowerHobbies.com | Search Results

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
And if we can make 'em smell like Red Door or Chanel No.5 or maybe Navy or Poison, maybe we could get more of the ladies interested in this hobby.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
I just picked up a 100 oz bottle of Tiki citronella torch fuel with lemongrass oil for $7.47 at Wal*Mart, so I'm gonna give it a whirl.

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
I just picked up a 100 oz bottle of Tiki citronella torch fuel with lemongrass oil for $7.47 at Wal*Mart, so I'm gonna give it a whirl.
hmmmmm. i don't think that sounds like a good idea.

how 'bout mixing some up w/gas & oil in a glass bottle to see if it breaks down &/or separates after a week.

i kind of like the idea of filtering bacon grease. though i think it would have to have to be a small amount & something done to it to prevent it from gumming up.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
I use a MixMizer and only prepare a quart at at time, which gets used up right away, there never would be any such combination sitting for a week.
The other products used for this purpose are added 1 oz per 7-8 quarts of fuel, so in this case only about 3.7 ml of the torch fuel will be added to a quart of 40:1 mix.