sprocket wobble

GoldenMotor.com

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Some of the kits that I have used had a stamped sprocket with a little offset in them... I always flip the sprocket around to give a little tire clearance (when needed)& have never had any kind of problem with doing it.
I would NOT recommend adding any spacers to shim the sprocket out even more though!!!

Frantic Fabricator

Jul 17, 2008
Have any of you guys tried the clamshell sprocket adapter? I was thinking of ordering one when I install a smaller sprocket, in hopes of eliminating most of this stuff. I also have my sprocket flipped, it was rubbing the tire pretty hard, so I really didn't have a choice.

Radmanfly

Jul 28, 2008
Oswego, NY
www.farleysradiator.com
Thanks for the tips, keep them coming.... I have an idea to try before I mess with taking it all back apart....I bought a narrower chain (41 pitch) from Tractor Supply, a master link and an off set link (which replaces 2 links with one) I will try to gain clearance with the thinner chain and take out some of the slack.

Just wondering, is a tensioner necessary even if the chain is the ideal 1/2" 3/4" slack and the sprocket center hole and lateral run out are both true?

Now I need to make or buy a chain breaker as my bicycle chain breaker worked on the china chain but not so much on the new one.

Frantic Fabricator

Jul 17, 2008
I pulled mine just to double check and measured it. It only has around 1mm of play, so I guess it wasn't as hard to do as I thought. I was having trouble spinning it the first time around, but today I figured out the front end on an old mountain bike was a good place to check it. Thanks for all the pointers, now I know I'm good to go.

80ccspeedster

Jul 28, 2008
Brucemg51, find someplace to sit down holding your wheel with both hands between your knees. Somehow spin the wheel and look how bad the sprocket is wobbling. Take your thumb that is closest to the sprocket. Stick out that thumb until it barely touches the sprocket. Time the moment where the wobble makes the sprocket touch the thumb and stop it immediately. See which nut is closest to where your thumb touches the sprocket and tighten that nut by turning it slight to the right. Keep doing this until the wobble is gone.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Brucemg51, find someplace to sit down holding your wheel with both hands between your knees. Somehow spin the wheel and look how bad the sprocket is wobbling. Take your thumb that is closest to the sprocket. Stick out that thumb until it barely touches the sprocket. Time the moment where the wobble makes the sprocket touch the thumb and stop it immediately. See which nut is closest to where your thumb touches the sprocket and tighten that nut by turning it slight to the right. Keep doing this until the wobble is gone.

It's a LOT easier to just leave the wheel on the bike and do that.

Clamp a pencil to the chainstay for use as the "thumb".

brucemg51

Jul 10, 2008
That's the same method I use for trueing the wheels. I've put the bike together and it's on the road. The chain is staying on the sprocket, so I guess whatever I did got the sprocket to run true enough.