which bike to get?

GoldenMotor.com

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
so tomorrow im going to pick up a bike for my first build, out of the ones i can afford these 2 are the ones im most interested in.

Walmart.com: Genesis 29" Men's Mountain Bike: Bikes & Riding Toys

Walmart.com: Hiland Spark Men's Hybrid City Bike: Bikes & Riding Toys

i plan on just using the bike to get around in city for the most part and a few longer trips later in the summer.

i'm leaning towards the 29" because it seems a bit more heavy duty, and i like the disc breaks, but im worried the muffler/exhaust mite not fit since the tires are pretty big.

i do like the other bike just not ass much.

anyone see any big reasons to go with 1 over the other that i haven't thought of?

the 26" is an alloy frame, the 29" is unspecified so i'm kinda worried about the 26"s frame.

if anyone could provide me with links to 26"+ mountain bikes with steel frames under $250 or so that would be great, im interested in the workman that was posted but i kinda like to have multiple gears as well, and don't like coaster brakes.

Last edited:

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
Take a look at what the guys are using here except do get something with V brakes. The vibration the frame mount 2 strokes create might be a source of aluminum frame failure. Steel is safer.
Also make sure the frame will fit your intended engine, which means no full suspension frames.
An old steel- frame mountain bike (big tires, V brakes would be good especially if it has a sus front fork.

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
This would prolly be my favorite it has heavy duty spoked wheels too.

Worksman Cycles - Industrial Bicycles Home

The bike you listed with the disk brakes sadly I don't think the China 2 stroke wheel will fit.

http://motorbicycling.com/f14/hi-newb-here-trying-learn-25973.html
well i got the mounting kit when i ordered my motor so i could mount it on frames with the larger diameter or is there another reason it wouldn't fit that im missing?

i do like some of those bikes you linked me too, but i can't afford one :( i also like the idea of a mountain bike in case the engine breaks down on me for one of my longer summer rides i have planned.

Last edited:

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
This would prolly be my favorite it has heavy duty spoked wheels too.

Worksman Cycles - Industrial Bicycles Home

The bike you listed with the disk brakes sadly I don't think the China 2 stroke wheel will fit.

http://motorbicycling.com/f14/hi-newb-here-trying-learn-25973.html
on second thought i could afford it, i'd just not be getting an expansion chamber.

if i bought this would it be able to fit right out of the box?

considering getting the Worksman Industrial Newsboy - Model INB since it's all i could afford.

and are they really heavy duty right out of the box? if im gonna spend that much on a bike i want it to be heavy duty all around, not just the sexy hand made frame :D

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Yep they is heavy duty sir.;) The motor will fit that frame quit easily too. Check some of

http://motorbicycling.com/members/bairdco/ Builds they are beautiful I would recommend pming him as well! As he is our resident Worksmen enthusiast.

As a package deal one of the things that folks wind up spending the money in the long run like upgrading the rear wheel is all good to go from the get go. [Breaking spokes]

The bike you listed with the disk brakes sadly I don't think the China 2 stroke wheel will fit. What I meant here is that the triangular shape of the frame opining is too small.

Last edited:

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
thanks goat, you're always so helpful :) no time to read though them atm, but i will when i get home, really looking into that worksman even though it means i'll have to miss out on the expansion chamber/ any other performance upgrade, and start later. but if the bike will last for years to come i guess its worth it. i added bairdco to msn so i can talk to him when he gets online.

thanks again :D

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I say for now to get the motor up and running plain Jain you might not want to change a thing.. Just saying keep it simple as you go. I went my first 3000 miles with no porting modes and another 3000 on the same motor with out a tuned pipe just the stock one. I got around just fine life was peachy;) Not a whole lot of folks are that patient to read up on this stuff. Your inquisitiveness will pay off. Less lessons learned the hard way lol..

Last edited:

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
stay away from that 700c bike the wheels wouldnt hold up at all that 29er might work mounting would be a pain and the card may not be level

but if your not in a rush try shopping craigslist localy for some sweet deals v-brakes are great if adjusted properly but disk brakes are the best now days most higher qaulity disk brakes are hydrolic but cable pull works just fine i have two cable pull disk brakes and they stop awesomly i guess the hydrolic are just less maintanence and smoother

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
and yeah you can always put an expansion chamber on any time its not like your forced to stop modding your bike cause it works fine

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
stay away from that 700c bike the wheels wouldnt hold up at all that 29er might work mounting would be a pain and the card may not be level

but if your not in a rush try shopping craigslist localy for some sweet deals v-brakes are great if adjusted properly but disk brakes are the best now days most higher qaulity disk brakes are hydrolic but cable pull works just fine i have two cable pull disk brakes and they stop awesomly i guess the hydrolic are just less maintanence and smoother

i have used craigslist before, in fact i got my 20" GT there 3 years ago, ride it every day, abuse the tiny thing n it's still works.

but i don't abuse it like an engine would, and if my frame cracks or the sprocket rips apart the spokes, i'd like to have a warranty ya know?

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
im certain your warrenty is voided after you strap a motor on your frame

most bike shops wont even work on your bike if you have a motor

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
im certain your warrenty is voided after you strap a motor on your frame

most bike shops wont even work on your bike if you have a motor
gotta be sneaky then ;) if i spend an extra $30-40 for the extra warranty and bring it in with out the motor on it, i don't think i'll have a problem.

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
matthurd said:
gotta be sneaky then if i spend an extra $30-40 for the extra warranty and bring it in with out the motor on it, i don't think i'll have a problem.
you are sneaky that just may do i personaly would just put it on a bike that is strong enough to handle the abuse i havent had any reall problems with my old huffy mtn bike and it is all rusty and beat up with several holes drilled thru the frame

most problems themselvs come from the motor and the rear tire and even with warrenty if your wheel aint up to snuff it will eventually fail

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
you are sneaky that just may do i personaly would just put it on a bike that is strong enough to handle the abuse i havent had any reall problems with my old huffy mtn bike and it is all rusty and beat up with several holes drilled thru the frame

most problems themselvs come from the motor and the rear tire and even with warrenty if your wheel aint up to snuff it will eventually fail
well i would certainly like to get a bike that's going to last, but it never hurts to be prepared :)

bobby

Dec 15, 2010
ny
i bought a worksman local for 150. great deal rides better used than a brand new schwinn from wally world. i couldnt believe how different it could be and the worksman rolls nice

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
i desire to have a worksman but in alaska i would have to buy new cause there aint no worksmans really up here on craigslist i volunteer at a bike co-op and there are knowledgeable people about bikes who never seen a worksman

Last edited:

epicboy

Nov 3, 2010
Agoura Hills, Ca
in fact i think the best frame you can possibly get right now is the workman frame for motorized bikes if you like the board tracker look which most of us do