• Board tracker

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Other

Votes: 8 20.0%

• Total voters

twowheeledfox

Oct 21, 2009
Houston TX
My MB is a vintage cruiser style, but has enough clearance to do light off-roading in a pinch.

My bicycle is a rigid MTB with a sprung seat, light etc- full-on tourer or trail machine.

wildemere

Feb 12, 2008
Newcastle
I got 3 , listed in order of riden the most

1. 1990 GT Outpost MTB, Cromoly frame, disc brake suspension front end, fat tyres and fenders. The rear drive is a self made disc mount 35t with no tensioner. I commute at 32mph on this. Its my daily ride. Came from the recycle center.

2. 1970's Speedwell Gents Sports, its a Japanese made mid level 27" mens bike fitted with 26" wheels. Front suspension, dual pull rim brakes and slick 1.5" tyres. Its my back-up bike. Its a classic I found on council cleanup. This bike runs a Grubee HD hub with a 36t sprocket and also no tensioner.

3. Apollo Verdict Shifter bike. A 700C Aluminium Hybrid. Bought it new. Its does 40+mph. I only ride it on weekends or longtrips. Also dual pull, it was converted to 5 speed from 7 after the original rear hub/cluster wore out. The 5 speed cluster (old school suntour) has taller teeth and engages heaps better than the original Shimano.

I have also built and ridden two different cruisers, their ride quality is nice. I sold them because of their poor braking and no front suspension. I do know both these issues can be fixed.

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Cruisers. I just like the old world Motor Bike look and ridding position. Although the position has more to do with the handle bars then the frame. The old steel MTB frames with cruiser bars, seat etc are great. Lots of room to mount an' strong like bull.

The results of your poll are really interesting. I wouldn't have thought the cruisers were so popular. Thanks for bringing it up Tad.

.flg.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Like Dan I like the old cruisers. My preference is for fifties and older balloon tire bikes for the same reasons. Strong frames, good ride, usually plenty of room for the motor, lots of classy style. The ones I like best have the horizontal dropouts so no chain tensioner is needed. I also like rear drop stands. I like riding in an upright position and value a comfortable seat. Fat boy tires are good. Some of my favorites are a 50 Schwinn Panther and three 1930's Elgins. I've had a couple 63 Schwinn Americans which were technically middleweights, but were well made bikes. With new heavy duty rims and fat tires they are just as well made as the older ones. If it's going to get a motor I want a classy old cruiser to mount it in.
SB

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
At first i used a mountainbike with limited space, so i got rid of it and got a cruiser bike, cause i liked the look of it with a engine and it had more space,but the cops thought it looked like a motorcycle, too bad for me no more engine and now im stuck peddaling a single speed cruiser bike, but its is a very light bike,wish i had a derailer cause i have a multi speed mountain bike wheel on the rear, but the chain is using only one gear.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i like cruisers, for basically the same reasons silverbear stated. all the bikes i've built so far were made before 1940, and i just like the way they look like old-timey motorcycles.

i don't think i'd build up anything else unless i was being paid for it.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Originally bought my motor to put on my MTB but then I saw a video of one on a cruiser and fell in love, I just like the style.

BUT now that I have the cruiser finished, 99.99% bug free and trustworthy I'm going to be heading into a BT build over the summer for pretty much the same reason, I like the looks of 'em, I have a cruiser already so why the heck not. :D

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Kevlar,
Yep, why the heck not. It's nice when others here like what we've built and tell us so, but in the end we're the one's we most want to please. I liked my old 39 step through Elgin as well as any bike I've ever owned, even though "girl's bikes are not considered cool. I liked how it rode, how easy it was to mount, how it was different and old timey looking, the art deco lines... and now that it was destroyed in the fire I'm looking forward to building up a 34 much like it. We have to please ourselves. I'll look forward to following your BT build. Have fun!
Cabin fever... when I think about how much hassle people are getting over the legality illegality of little motors on a bicycle it pisses me off. No motorized bikes in Canada and yet 45 bazillion chainsaws are running all at one time and as one Canadian pointed out to me, there are no emission requirements on cars and trucks. Where is the logic here? And you could drive around in an RV at 5 mpg and be legal, but break the law with a wimpy motored bike getting maybe a hundred mpg. This is so stupid. I'm sorry for the trouble you're having and see in another thread that you'll be going electric. Good luck to you.
SB

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I'm in the vintage Schwinn cruiser club.
The reason I choose Schwinn is because they're plentiful & fairly cheap to buy, but they're valuable once fixed up!! ;)
My new kick is making 'em into board trackers because they look sooooo kewl!

I voted 'cruiser' instead of BT.

charles.paskell

Feb 25, 2010
NC
im on the Schwinn High plains beacause it was a gift and when i got my grubee skyhawk i put it on there ridin like the wind now....but im out of gas, im going to get some today, gas that is.
also i like the way mountain bikes normally sit you up higher than most cruisers also i think its more sporty and is more agile as opposed to most other setups. just my opinion

Last edited:

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
I ride the OCC chopper it is comfortable and turns heads. However I really like the cruizer style best looking bikes for ease of install I think, but I will always think board trackers are #1. Whole reason I ever wanted a bike with a motor!

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I now have an Atlas Industrial, beach cruiser type. The only reason it's not a mountain bike is because I got it for $20. I was looking at a late 80's Diamond Back, but the shop was asking waaay too much for it.

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
I like the OCC's but my 1950 cruiser turns heads and is sooo comfortable! Even the young kids like the cruiser.

MadC

May 4, 2010
Toronto
Just curious what people are riding and why.

I ride a mountain bike because I like to go off-road. I am really thinking about doing a cruiser next.
I ride a cruiser and it isn't very good offroad.. I'm adding springer forks to it tomorrow, and hopefully that helps with suspension.

My next build will be a mountain bike for the off road purpose. I had my engine originally on a beat up mountain bike and I was rippin it on the trails and in soccer fields.

cruiser is just what the name implies in my opinion, just cruise...

Cheers

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Springer fork makes a major diff.

I ride a cruiser and it isn't very good offroad.. I'm adding springer forks to it tomorrow, and hopefully that helps with suspension.

My next build will be a mountain bike for the off road purpose. I had my engine originally on a beat up mountain bike and I was rippin it on the trails and in soccer fields.

cruiser is just what the name implies in my opinion, just cruise...

Cheers

MadC

May 4, 2010
Toronto
Springer fork makes a major diff.
fingers crossed on that!dance1

I also was adding a boost kit to the intake to help with the performance. has anybody used one of these?

it looks like a water bottle that plugs into the intake valve.

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
I've seen mixed replys on boost bottles. Most of the positve ones seem to come from vendor related sources.

fingers crossed on that!dance1

I also was adding a boost kit to the intake to help with the performance. has anybody used one of these?

it looks like a water bottle that plugs into the intake valve.