Advice on these frames?

GoldenMotor.com

lolitsdaelan

Apr 23, 2010
Indianapolis
So I was browsing around craigslist and came across these 2 bikes...

1. Unknown Make ($75) Looks to be in good condition, can anyone identify the bike?

2. Murray Missile ($40) The bike clearly has some wear on it, and the owner says it has some surface rust.

3. Walmart Cruisers ($85-$115) Obviously the perks of brand new would be no rust whatsoever, havent been beaten on at all. I could pick up a Del Mar for $99 with a $20 gift card.
Walmart.com: Men's 26'' Schwinn Delmar Cruiser with Bonus $20 eGift Card: Bikes, Scooters & Skates

The reason I'm torn is that I plan on sanding down the bike and repainting anyway. So I've been assuming the Murray Missile would be the best as its cheap and if I'm gonna sand it away, that should take care of any rust on the bike. But it's also a much older bike, and I don't know its structural integrity.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by a moderator:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
So long as you check the welds on the frame & bearing/race condition (headset, crank & wheels), there's little to worry about insofar as the structural integrity of an older bike so it's completely your call, particularly if yer gonna repaint ;)

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
The first one for sure. It looks like a Schwinn Skyliner but can't be sure. It has front and rear brakes and a rear derailleur. Can't beat that for $75 and it looks like it is in good shape.