Hello from Pennsylvania

GoldenMotor.com

RusticoRay

Oct 3, 2009
6mi. from the Old North Bridge
Hey stevelandis, I was at the rally last year try and make it if you can. **** I'd even meet ya halfway if possible. It was a terrific time and Jay introduced me to the Amish on a ride. Woke up to the clip clop of the horses hoves outside our window. Hey OCC went on a ride Presidents day with a fellow, with a OCC Chopper. A little cold but hey this time of year what can you expect.
I brought a friction drive a chinese knockoff scooter and a EZ Motorbike(manual) just show up there will deffinetly be spares to ride.
Maybe a small benzimatic torch, mapp gas is hot. I think I'd try a few diffent approaches before cutting pipe.

stevolandis

Feb 20, 2010
NE Pennsylvania
Just a thought, maybe you could fish out the papertowel with an old metal coat hanger.
I tried that first, and then we put 120 psi of air through the bottom, nothing happened, then, we clamped it onto a hose and ran water through it full blast. Nothing came out. For a few day, small amounts of water drained out. Do you know what the palladium insert these things have are? maybe it's stuck in whatever that is. I think we'll cut it open, take the insides out, and weld it shut. Eventually i'll upgrade to an expansion pipe.

-Stevo

stevolandis

Feb 20, 2010
NE Pennsylvania
Hey stevelandis, I was at the rally last year try and make it if you can. **** I'd even meet ya halfway if possible. It was a terrific time and Jay introduced me to the Amish on a ride. Woke up to the clip clop of the horses hoves outside our window. Hey OCC went on a ride Presidents day with a fellow, with a OCC Chopper. A little cold but hey this time of year what can you expect.
I brought a friction drive a chinese knockoff scooter and a EZ Motorbike(manual) just show up there will deffinetly be spares to ride.
Maybe a small benzimatic torch, mapp gas is hot. I think I'd try a few diffent approaches before cutting pipe.
I been drivin' in 14* weather, didn't listen to mom, now i'm sick. Oops. My parents like the idea of this rally, so that's good. My brother doesn't have a motorized bike. Maybe he could come along and rent a spare. What is a benzimatic torch??? I have a propane torch. Do you mean blow a flame through it to burn the paper? I heard other people cut their pipes to gut it, they get some power.
Thanks!

OCCstingray

May 3, 2009
Chester County, PA
RusticoRay: I still go riding in the winter as well, as long as it is not too rainy, or too snowy. In fact, its ironic, because my last ride was also on Presidents Day. And like you said, there were plenty of extra bike to ride, and thanks to everyone who let me ride their bikes at the rallys when my bike did not want to cooperate with me.
Stevolandis: A benzimatic torch is just another kind of torch. Mapp gas burns hotter than propane. MAPP gas comes in the yellow bottles, not blue like propane.
Quenton: You will have a long drive from NC to come to a rally in PA, but it should be worth it. Last years event was great but I am sure you know that already.

stevolandis

Feb 20, 2010
NE Pennsylvania
If that doesn't work, I think I'll cut the pipe open and pull out the insides, and I'm planning on getting an expansion pipe soon anyway. I'm going to get some pics of my current bike now!

donutguy

Feb 4, 2010
PA
Jbcruisin.....those are some sweet bikes! I live in York-you might see me at the rally...looks like fun!

stevolandis

Feb 20, 2010
NE Pennsylvania
Here's my bike!

I finally got outside and got some pics of my bike! Also- us northerners finally got some snow(19"). I also attached a pic of the snow. I'm planning on getting a black expansion pipe and painting the engine black- it'll look nice with that stuff on it...

Attachments

stevolandis

Feb 20, 2010
NE Pennsylvania
I finally solved the pipe problem! It turned out that there actually wasn't paper in the pipe(it was blown out when I drove the engine without the pipe) When I put the pipe back on the bike, I put a lot of squirtable gasket on- I didn't know you're just supposed to smear a little bit on. The gasket material blew down the pipe and got clogged in the palladium catalytic converter(a little honeycomb piece of metal in the pipe). Me and my neighbor cut off the end of the pipe, jammed a screwdriver in the pipe, and eventually got the converter out of the pipe! Now, I just have to weld it back together and make sure it works. We have some beautiful weather(65*, sunny).
Also, I painted the engine black with stove paint, and then switched the front forks with some suspension forks and painted those black too. I'll get some pictures up soon. Thanks to everyone for their help!!

stevolandis

Feb 20, 2010
NE Pennsylvania
Next update... we got the pipe welded, but without putting the baffle back in(it fell out when I took the bike for a quick ride). So, it's the same pipe without the cat. converter and baffle, and a little hole drilled in the bottom. Now, I have another problem- while it's driving, especially at high speeds, it'll shut off all of a sudden, but it still has compression- it slows me down. It's kinda like the spark quit. But then, it'll start up again, and do this a buncha times. Since a better air-flow pipe makes it leaner, we drilled the jet to 1mm(that's the smallest we had) and put the needle all the way lean. Then, I mixed up some new gas with carburetor cleaner in it. This might help it run(if it doesn't, i'll search the forum for some solutions) Thanks everyone for your help!! I'll try to get some pics up of my new and improved bike... I still need to grab the camera and get some.

OCCstingray

May 3, 2009
Chester County, PA
From what you are saying, it may be starving for fuel at higher rpm's. Are you sure your gas valve is on all the way, and not half-open? Is it still in break-in period (first few tanks of gas)? You may have to adjust the carb some more to get it how you like it. check the color of the sparkplug, it should not be too dry or too wet either, try searching here to find some good answers.

stevolandis

Feb 20, 2010
NE Pennsylvania
Well- the inline fuel filter is a quarter-half full of gas- so I think the carburetor has gas. I saw somewhere that .72mm is a good jet size, and since mine is drilled to 1mm, it seems like it would be very rich. I think what's happening is that it's bogging down. With the clutch in, it will only rev at maybe 2000 rpms(half of what it normally did). Then, it'll suddenly rev up to 6000, but then go back to half revving. I'll look around and see if some else had this problem...