How to eliminate clutch noise

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Kev,
Sorry to say, but it sounds like almost every 2 stroke I've ever heard. Videos always seem to distort the sound, maybe the mic in the camera, but I think what you're talking about is that rattly sound along with the exhaust/intake noise. The primary gears which always rotate are not the precision cut that we'd all like to see so they do produce some weird noises. A small dab of grease on them will help but for the most part the clutch noise is normal. Some guys have had luck with gluing a sheet of foam rubber to the outside surface of the clutch cover; I made a thick rubber gasket from 'O' ring material which helped cut down on the echo through the aluminum cover. My advice? Get on that good looking bike, ride it and try to ignore the built-in noise that is inherent to these little engines. Sweet looking ride, by the way. How's it run?
Tom

Last edited:

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
put small pieces of rubber hose inbetween ever other fin on your engine,dont forget the top fins and check to see if your clutch is rubbing on your clutch cover and if it is u can add another gasket or 2 to space the cover away from the clutch.

besides that, you have a very sweet lookin ride,very nice job.

FileStyle

May 27, 2008
Decatur,IL
I made my own using 3/16" rubber cut into the shape of my cover and then using silicone to apply with a heavy weight on it overnight. all is good!

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I cheated and sprayed the inside of the cover with a coupla coats of rubberized undercoating, that combined with a light touch of grease to the gears seemed to help cut the noise down a bit.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
The cure for the gear noise is to replace them with something that is not straight cut and hewn from stone.
Other than that, enjoy it as part of the experience, and you can always tell people it's got a blower in there somewhere.