Smoldering Embers

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I just came home from a great fall afternoon ride. The bike was running great, the sun was out, blue sky overhead and the lure of the open road beckoned. The only problem is the open road where I'd like to go has a speed limit of 65MPH...Not exactly motorized bicycle territory. While I was pondering this I wondered about all the members here who have prior motorcycle experience and if they ever feel like going back to it. I haven't owned a MC for over 40 years and the reality of it is that I really don't want one with traffic like it is today, insurance and registration fees, but there are those times when I'm riding my MB that I feel the slightest warmth of those old embers and think just how cool it would be to feel a powerful twin under my butt and when I twist the grip to experience that pull of cubic inches and a real wind in my face instead of a gentle breeze. Older bikers will relate and the ones who have never owned or ridden a motorcycle, I wonder if riding a motorized bike will light a fire that will eventually kindle into them buying an MC. Just random thoughts brought on by the ride.
Tom

wes

Aug 17, 2009
Tucson Az
thats why i have a dirt bike, mtb for the streets and commuting and the dirt bike for that fast powerfull fun!!! and the OHV tags are cheap and no ins required

pedro5189

Jan 21, 2008
England
I'm hoping that the MB that I'm building isn't going to be too slow against my last mx bike, although i know it will be along way short it will however be stealthy and I could hopefully use it in more places, aswell as combining my two favourite hobbies off road mountan biking and riding motorbikes. For the road i have a sports bike though that is fast and legal so can't see the advantage to me using the MB on the road.

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
I rode bikes alot from age 5 to about 21 and I didnt even own a running car till I was 19. After 25 years I finally decided to get one in 07, kinda like the call of the wild kept at me so I chose a Kawi klr 650. A beautiful bike lots of power go anywhere bike. About a month after I bought it I was down on rampart road riding it and a toyota pickup left his side of the road and was heading straight for me. I laid the bike down and about 2 feet from my front fender he corrected it and pulled back to his side of the road. He almost killed me, I couldnt go off the road exactly where it happened because it would have been certain serious injury at that spot. Anyway I broke my foot and was laid up for 8 weeks because of it and I just chalked it up to an accident. After that I rode alot around the west side of Denver and every other day I was in a situation where some one was turning in front of me or merging into me. Im not sure whats different between now and the 70s or 80s but it is more dangerous to drive nowadays. June of this year I almost got killed by a car merging into me and I had to jump a curb and lay it down on some grass. Right there on the way home I decided to sell it and I did soon after. Some day Ill get another but it will be only for off road fun and maybe a 250 or a 450cc........

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
My cousin met me at the bar today & he was gonna ride his Harley out from the valley, so I thought I'd take my Harley out for a little spin, (no tags, no insurance & old gas!) & I gotta admit... the feeling is still good!!! ;)

leftywoody

Aug 23, 2008
Lagrange Indiana
No matter how long it has been since 1966, When my brother and built our first motorbike, and no matter how many motorcycles I owned since then, that little motorized bicycle grabbed the first thrills out of the my past and allowed me to relive it all over again .Our homemade motor bike was a Simplex frame and a 3 1/2 hp Briggs ,direct belt drive , bicycle front forks and wheel , no clutch ,no breaks . Just run along side and hop on when it fired up . My Harley was fun but that first motorbike was life changing .

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Tom- If you haven't been on the mean streets in 40 years getting another M/C will be a Rumplestilskin like adventure.

In the last 10 years alone, you know by driving in it that the roads are not what they used to be.

Still, I street ride, and have continuously since 1975.

I vote "yes, Tom, you should seriously consider getting back in."....it's cheap and easy and as long as you don't want a Belchfire 2000 V-3 you'll be A-O.K.

mechanickid

Aug 7, 2008
nh
to me the my motorized bike is just that, a motorized bike, i use it like i would a bicycle, accept i dont have to pedal, i dont expect it to perform like a motorcycle, but the times when its about as good sure are fun. when i need a "power fix" as i call it, i ride my kx250.

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.
Everytime I hear the music of a set of Harley pipes going by something inside me goes "oh man". I am eventually going to have to buy another one. My motored bicycle is fun. But it will never give you the feeling a Harley does. It has been well said, "You never see a Harley parked outside a psychiatrist office."

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Anyhow 2door, you can always re-start small. There are quite a few "vintage" smaller bikes and Suzuki makes a great retro 250.

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
I had a suzuki boulevard 40 (650 cc 1 cylinder) that people actually asked if it was a harley LOL it does have the look and screams off the block but no top end...70mph max. It was fun to zip around town on.

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.
Unless your very short 2door you'll probably want a standard 883 a hummer is factory lowered 2". I'm not sure if it is still going but Harley was offering a deal that if you bought a sportster and traded it in on a full size harley within 2 years they gave you the full purchase price as trade in value. Nightsters are pretty cool.... And sporty's handle in town really sweet. If you goto the Harley site check out a Rocker "c" my fav..

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Tom
get yourself a big bike then next summer you can go with me and Charlie to Sturgis we can have
a blast! See the Black hills from a bike and see the sights so much fun it's almost illegal or will be some day.
If any of you guys who want to go let me know the more the better.
We ain't gettin any younger!dnut
Norman

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Tom
Cool go for it you could get a small storage shed for extra room.
You know that road out of the mountains to your house IS a fun road on a bike! Plus the views from a bike is breath taking if I do say so myself. You two would look good on a Electra glide a black one to match the car!
or a black gold wing(second choice) if I was looking for a bike plus nothing wrong with a three wheeler either I'd like to build a VW trike. Now there would be a cool trike built to match the car.

Last edited: