chain alignment

GoldenMotor.com

crabdance

May 16, 2008
Hi everyone,

My chain does not align very good. If the tensioner were moved inside (closer to the bike) a bit it would be just about right. The chain is coming off the sprocket a little too soon. I haven't rode my bike yet because I'm still waiting on parts but I don't want the chain to come off when I finally get to ride it. I had the dish out and the chain rubbed the frame so I turned it in and now it doesn't rub the frame but it's a little out of alignment.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any help.

cd

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Have you tried moving the wheel over with washers inside the frame. I think I have two inside my frame. and I tightened the wheel for the motor chain and put the tensioner on the pedal side.

crabdance

May 16, 2008
hey deacon.. thanks for the idea... I will go look for some washers and see if I can get it to line up better. That just might be the ticket I was looking for...

I'm going to go try it and get back with you and tell you if it worked or not... see you in a few.

cd

Have you tried moving the wheel over with washers inside the frame. I think I have two inside my frame. and I tightened the wheel for the motor chain and put the tensioner on the pedal side.

crabdance

May 16, 2008
ok... here's what happened... I needed to borrow some tools from my neighbor and so he came over and looked at it. The problem was is that the tensioner wheel was at an angle because of where it was sitting on the frame. So he got out a BIG wrench and twisted the tensioner just a little bit and now it is aligned just right. I'm pretty sure he did not twist it enough to hurt it because it's hard to tell he moved it much. But at least that's one worry off my mind. Thanks for helping deacon.

cd

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Any time. If that tensioner gives you problems move it to the other side. I never could get mine right till i did. My chain was always coming off. Good luck most guys don't have too much problem with that.

Another thing that gave me fits was the rear wheel when I took it apart to adust (beat **** out of) the brake lever, I didn't get it right and the wheel wobbled. All in all I hate that drive system but I love the freedom of the bike.

crabdance

May 16, 2008
I "adjust" all my tensioners with a 4' pipe wrench and a vise.
Hey Joe, Glad to know that I'm not the only one doing this. "adjusting" the tensioner made a lot of difference and I'm glad that I took that route. Looks like it is a good fix.

Wheel Rush

Jun 21, 2008
I'm trying to get a fix on what you guys are talking about ?

Tensioner, . . Are you referring to the Drive Chain Idler, ( Pulley) ?

If so, what do you mean put the tensioner on the pedal side ?

http://www.thatsdax.com/sitebuilder/images/MVC-006L3-343x293.jpg

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Hey Joe, Glad to know that I'm not the only one doing this. "adjusting" the tensioner made a lot of difference and I'm glad that I took that route. Looks like it is a good fix.

A lot of folks have problems with the tensioner....If you make sure it is square with the chain run front to rear, and is supporting the chain evenly across the width of the links, plus never have less than 3/4" play, you should not have problems.

Also, for best results make sure the chain run is straight...do whatever is needed to make sure the front and rear sprocket line up with a straight run of chain between them. Sit on the ground behind the bike to look down the run.