GoldenMotor.com

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Just a couple pictures from today.

I put a new pipe on Bonneville #5.

Shop Day by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

Here is a closeup. Should flow better than before. This is all tig welded stainless.

Closeup of the welds. The pipe starts at 1", steps up to 1 1/2", then up to 2" at the tail pipe. There is a removable baffle. We fired it up and it sounded great!

A yellow 200 model that is missing a few pieces. .

itchybird

Nov 4, 2009
SF Bay Area.
The new pipe came out great, in fact it came out so nice that we fab'ed up a second one for my bike (Bonneville #4) which was also in the shop today.

The pipe looks so much better with 1.5" tubing thru the mid-section and it should flow much better than the old pipe too. The bike sounded great, we were both expecting the bike be louder, but if anything it was actually more quiet. And the welds came out great, the pictures don't do it justice.

I guess my bike wasn't pretty enough to be included in the pictures, but it has had it's cruiser clothes torn off for it's transformation into a boardie. Plan is to tear it all apart tomorrow for paint.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Just a couple pictures from today.

I put a new pipe on Bonneville #5.

Closeup of the welds. The pipe starts at 1", steps up to 1 1/2", then up to 2" at the tail pipe. There is a removable baffle. We fired it up and it sounded great!
Looks fantastic and fast!

The last race you were at was Willow Springs which was over 2 years ago,
so are you going to be racing your Bonneville in the Unlimited Class against
scotto on October 19th at Grange Motor Circuit? :D

You have a Bonneville record but the racing on the track is the real world
test of man and machine.

Racing improves the breed so they say and if you win races on Saturday you
sell bikes on Monday. ;)

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Looks fantastic and fast!

The last race you were at was Willow Springs which was over 2 years ago,
so are you going to be racing your Bonneville in the Unlimited Class against
scotto on October 19th at Grange Motor Circuit? :D

You have a Bonneville record but the racing on the track is the real world
test of man and machine.

Racing improves the breed so they say and if you win races on Saturday you
sell bikes on Monday. ;)
Yeah, really. Anybody can do Bonneville......

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
I really like that new exhaust. Does it run any different? As always I really like what you do Pat.
Rich and I both expected it to be much louder and it wasn't. It did have a deeper note and power felt better, smoother, when I rode it. I am sure it will be a **** raiser when I pull the baffle out! Throwing the 3" bore 244cc engine in should be pretty interesting, too. Saving that for next weekend!

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Another day in the shop. Finally finished up the fairing install and have the rearsets where I want them. Did a quick test fit with my helmet on to be sure I won't bump my head on the wind screen

The cowl moved around more than I wanted so I added yet another mount. Trying to find mount locations that don't interfer with existing components and that can be completely removed later has been a challenge to say the least. This whole fairing install took MUCH longer than I expected.

Pit bike and race bike! From the seat post forward these two bikes share the same geometry. Oh, almost the same. As I recall I cheated the Bonneville geometry and added a couple more degrees of rake. The rear triangles are entirely different.

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
Neil's right. a land speed record vs riding around a gokart track with a bunch of us kooks on homemade deathtraps? Bonneville... pffft. big deal... ;)

Awesome job as always pat. does that fairing put you in a different class?

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Neil's right. a land speed record vs riding around a gokart track with a bunch of us kooks on homemade deathtraps? Bonneville... pffft. big deal... ;)

Awesome job as always pat. does that fairing put you in a different class?
Hi Baird,
The fairing would allow us to run in a partial stream line class and should give us 10-15% more top end. Interesting thing is we already ran faster than the partial stream line record last year by 2 mph without a fairing. Sometimes the easiest way to win a race is by just keeping the machine in one piece. Like they say, you can't win if you don't finish.

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
That thing sure looks slick! when I saw the image of the fairing by its self I could never imagine what it would look like when installed, but this surpasses my expectations.

Do you have any estimates on you max speed with the fairing? I hope it will make a significant improvement.

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
From what I am told the fairing will be good for 10-15% increase in speed. That would put this bike at 80-85 mph.