what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

I drilled out the brass plug on my CNS V3 carb.........holy schniekes!!! I just thought it was run'n good before the operation! About 3/4 turn counter-clockwise really woke that machine up!

Turns out that I didn't have the bearing cones just right. Gotta tighten them babies again. Oh well, idle hands and all that, I guess!

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas

^How difficult was it to drill the plug out? I'm looking at getting one of those carbs myself, to replace my current CNS V3.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK

I just drilled it with a small bit, then threaded a screw into the hole (be careful, it's not too thick). You can then just pop the plug by pulling the screw with some pliers.............took about a minute to do. Made a world of difference! The bike can easily take off from a standing start with no pedaling...........not much throttle and not hardly any clutch slippage.

After the adjustment, I also had to adjust down the idle screw.

Attachments

Last edited:

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas

Cool. I've got a drill handy. I know what my first mod will be when I get a new carb. lol
Thanks for that info.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008

My Shinko 2.75-21 rear tire arrived today. Funny, it measured 3" wide @ the outside "cleats". These cleats are @ the edge and sidewall of the tire, for offroading. Since I won't be doing that, I decided to "amputate" them.....all 184 of them. Eliminating them would narrow the tire from 3.00" to 2.5625" (2" and 9/16"). Thus, clearances would widen dramatically. One chainstay had MINUS .0625". Modifying the tire gives it approximately .+20" clearance. Other side seat stay will increase from .0625" to .2625".

Took me 1.5 hours to remove most of the rubber off of 184 rubber cleats. Actually it came off WAY too easy, which means that ALL of the tire's cleats are kinda soft. I hope the tire lasts me awhile before any cleats start ripping off.:-||

It felt odd removing rubber off a brand new tire, much like how some track racers machine off part of the tread of a brand new racing tire. Sadly, this is the only way a 26" motorcycle tire will fit into my cruiser without "massaging" the dropout. There IS no smaller-size 26" tire I could find. My 3" X 21" Dunlop tire will fit perfectly in the motorcycle fork I'm gonna use on this bike.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas

#73 - .024" - .61mm

never even tried one that small, are you sure that isn't too lean to get up hills?
I run that size for last 4 years in one of my bikes with a very free flowing exhaust and a 32T sprocket on a 24" wheel now, I ride 30+ mile round trips with a 4 moderate hills along the way, spark plug runs nice medium chocolate brown and the engine only 4 strokes at very low speed with only small amount of throttle being used.

I worked this jet size up by trial of plug checking and it works great on 3 of my engines, never any lean issues at all with this jet size on my bikes.

Map

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.

Rode only 18miles on break-in. My new DAX balanced bottom is almost broke-in . I have a couple of projects going on at the same time, so I try get something done on each of them. Tonight I cut up my Dollar General shopping cart cut up for the trailer I'm making and ready for assembly . I also finished another modified CDI for a customer to fund the trailer project. Sorry no pics or videos so put down the remote Dodge . LOL

Last edited:

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA

I worked this jet size up by trial of plug checking and it works great on 3 of my engines, never any lean issues at all with this jet size on my bikes.
good to know, as there seem to be a LOT of non-obvious differences in these motors - makes it hard to determine what is best for which motor

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.

Wish I had TIME for my baby. Finished and delivered a recumbent build two days ago, Then started another customer build yesterday. I might finish it today, Maybe? THEN perhaps I can give mine a little TLC. My new chain needs lubed. Need to replace a mirror that broke when I knocked her over. And, of course a new windscreen, (it broke too,) when I get the cash. I'm kinda jealous of the guys that have only ONE bike to work on. (but not too jealous,) Because I really do enjoy running my little shop. Keeps me off the couch just watching TV all day.
Well, Time to hit the shop and get on that build. Daylights Burning.
fatdaddy.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA

Getting ready to replace my front brake cable with a motorcycle cable and take a look at my gearbox. Sounds like something is loose in there that shouldn't be, and the clutch is chattering a bit too much for my liking.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA

Replaced the cable. It was a thick cable. I wanted to use the housing from the old cable, but the new cable was too thick, so I had to use the housing that came with it and trim down the plastic sheathing so the cable housing would seat properly. I also had a little trouble getting the cable stop (ht kit clutch cable stop) on the new cable, but a little elbow grease took care of that. Now my front brake is perfect. I checked out my gearbox and found nothing wrong, so I took a look at my chain and decided there was a bit too much slack, so I moved my spring loaded tensioner back a little. Hope that solves that problem. I then shortened one of my killswitch wires and called it a day. As soon as my batteries finish charging, I'll put them back on the bike and then it will finally be back to just routine maintenance for awhile (fingers crossed).

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK

I re-tightened my rear cone bearings --- probably a little too tight, but I slathered quite a bit of Lucas Red-N-Tacky grease on the bearings. We'll see how it does.

I also removed my front fender. Tom's story scared the bejesus outa me. The JB Weld still looked OK on the bottom side of the hanger bracket, but I've got enough issues without having to go through rehab --- or worse.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA

Those cone bearings can be a pita. Here is what I do when I service my hubs. Actually just did this a few days ago, so its fresh in my memory lol. I disassemble the hub completely and wipe off the old grease the best I can. Then I take the axle and slather grease on the cone next to the brake arm. Slide that bearing on, then slather grease on the bearing. Set it to the side and pick up the pedal cog. Same procedure, slather grease on the cone, slide the bearing on, slather the bearing in grease. Slather the inner bearing race with grease and place that bearing in. Carefully set to the side and then pick up the axle again. Slide the brake clutch on and smear some grease on it (helps keep the brake shoes from moving around during reassembly). Then put the brake shoes on and smear a little grease on it. Slide the axle into the hub, and hold the brake arm. Pick up the pedal cog and screw it into the brake clutch. Hold everything tight while threading the bearing cone on. Tighten it finger tight. Then the locking nut, and get the locking nut on as tight as I possibly can, but with fingers ONLY. Then I place the wheel in the dropouts and slide the brake arm up to the strap that holds it in place (some frames have a welded on bracket, mine happens not to). I attach the nut and bolt that holds the brake arm, but dont tighten it completely yet. I then slide the wheel to the right to tension the pedal chain and tighten the right side axle nut. I squeeze something between the brake arm and the frame to keep the brake arm from torquing around while tightening the axle nuts. Once the right axle nut is tight, I center the wheel and tighten the left axle nut. Then I tighten the nut and bolt that holds the brake arm in place. Never had a problem with a loose axle doing it this way, and WOW that post was a lot longer than I thought.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn

I re-tightened my rear cone bearings --- probably a little too tight, but I slathered quite a bit of Lucas Red-N-Tacky grease on the bearings. We'll see how it does.

I also removed my front fender. Tom's story scared the bejesus outa me. The JB Weld still looked OK on the bottom side of the hanger bracket, but I've got enough issues without having to go through rehab --- or worse.
Be careful to keep an eye on the bearings. If it continues to mysteriously loosen up, the inner race in the cassette side could be deforming. I recently had one that kept getting loose too often and it turned out the bearing was slowly self-destructing. Failed miles from home and stranded the rider.
He didn't want to listen when I warned him so he ended up walking. When he brought it in, the inner race in the hub was completely gone. No cup at all, just a hole.
Much as I love these bikes, pushing or carrying one bites rancid monkey junk.

Gaspumper

May 22, 2013
La Crosse, WI

I ran out of gas today. Had to pedal about 3 miles home. Served as a reminder as to why I put the HT on in the first place. Filled up the tank, then went and bought a flask for fuel reserve purposes. Replaced a tire tube that had gotten a pinch flat. Also ordered a B2 tank cap, so hopefully no more leaks.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK

Be careful to keep an eye on the bearings. If it continues to mysteriously loosen up, the inner race in the cassette side could be deforming. I recently had one that kept getting loose too often and it turned out the bearing was slowly self-destructing. Failed miles from home and stranded the rider.
He didn't want to listen when I warned him so he ended up walking. When he brought it in, the inner race in the hub was completely gone. No cup at all, just a hole.
Much as I love these bikes, pushing or carrying one bites rancid monkey junk.

Yeah, I've tightened these things 3 times in the last couple of months. I've already decided to buy a new wheel if it needs it again soon.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA

I ran out of gas today. Had to pedal about 3 miles home. Served as a reminder as to why I put the HT on in the first place. Filled up the tank, then went and bought a flask for fuel reserve purposes. Replaced a tire tube that had gotten a pinch flat. Also ordered a B2 tank cap, so hopefully no more leaks.
Running out of gas blows chunks lol. I ran out of gas yesterday. Luckily I was at the traffic light near my house so all I had to do was push the bike half a block, but still felt a little stupid lol. Had my wife drive me to the gas station when she got off work, and poured $3 of 89 into my gas can (1.2 gallon tank and I have a 4 stroke so no mixing oil). Back home, poured the gas in the tank and was ready to go to drive to work today. Reminded me to keep a better eye on my tank and put a couple dollars in every now and then.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008

Running out of gas blows chunks lol. I ran out of gas yesterday. Luckily I was at the traffic light near my house so all I had to do was push the bike half a block, but still felt a little stupid lol. Had my wife drive me to the gas station when she got off work, and poured $3 of 89 into my gas can (1.2 gallon tank and I have a 4 stroke so no mixing oil). Back home, poured the gas in the tank and was ready to go to drive to work today. Reminded me to keep a better eye on my tank and put a couple dollars in every now and then.
Before I installed a 4-liter peanut tank, I'd always carry a 12-ounce reserve in the bottle cage on the frame.

http://www.opentip.com/Custom-Orders/Oz-Aluminum-Sport-Flask-p-2984534.html

It served me well then. Now I carry my coffee mug in the bottle cage.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008

Rode my bike to work today. It was cloudy where I left home. By the time I reached work, the roads were wet, but it had stopped raining already. Schwalbe Big Apple tires never slipped.

I had flushed out my chasinring freewheel, but couldn't find my SBP oil. Sooo, I tried to push grease thru the freewheel's cracks. Don't know for sure if I got much grease in there, but the freewheel wasn't protesting. xct2