99cc predator juice any ideas yet ?

GoldenMotor.com

andrewflores17

Jul 12, 2010
colorado springs, CO
im currently quite comfortable with my battery to fog light situation but was wandering if anyones experiminted with gathering power from the 99cc yet i know some work was done on trying to get it from the 49cc with some sucess was just seeing what you guys have come up with.zpt

HillbillyScientist

Apr 4, 2012
Piney Flats TN
I saw this really ghetto setup on youtube the guy gutted a crank emergency light and took the small generator head from it then positioned on the wheel kinda like a reverse tension drive set up it wouldnt pump a lot of juice but you could use the idea with a bigger motor/generator

Last edited:

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I am starting to wonder myself. I dont have a predator of my own (yet) but I know they do come with a built in killswitch right on the engine, and also have other wires coming off the engine. so the other wires must be there for a reason? perhaps someone should use a fluke meter and see what they put out.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I know this thread is a few months old now, but it took me this long to come up with an idea. The wires connected to the low oil sensor, perhaps they produce some sort of useable current? I'm determined to find out, as I would really like to run my headlight off my engine if possible on my upcoming 98cc build. Perhaps someone could figure this out?

DaveM50

Jun 15, 2014
Minnesota
The wire to the kill switch should carry whatever voltage the primary winding on the magneto generates, since it "kills" the engine by grounding that. It's quite light wiring, so the amperage can't be much. I plan to put a voltmeter on mine the next time I start the engine.

The output will be AC and the voltage will increase as the engine speed does. Run it through a bridge rectifier (a $6 part) and into a battery and it should charge....how much will depend on the amperage.

I will be using LEDs for the rear lights on my build (very low power usage). Whether an LED headlight is feasible I do not know.

You won't need much of a battery to run only lights, especially if the charging output can keep up. A sealed lead-acid or lithium ion battery of the sort used to power kiddie cars should be plenty.

Since the magneto uses permanent magnets, I don't know if using it as a charger will put an additional load on the engine. I have an old motorcycle with a 6 volt electrical system (6 volt, 4 AH battery) and no electric start. Switching all of the lights on puts enough load on the engine that I have to keep the idle speed higher than I would prefer or it will stall at every stop sign.

DaveM50

Jun 15, 2014
Minnesota
That's what I was thinking--a 12-volt "bicycle generator". Mind, as my build is more than slightly whimsical, I have considered mounting a generator on the back and attaching a wind turbine fan to it. Once I'm moving, the blades should spin fast enough to turn a generator. Mind, that might slow the bike down. But it would look hilarious.

greaser_monkey_87

Mar 30, 2014
USA
It may also be possible, according to another forum member, to build a separate coil out of a wall transformer (wall charger for batteries, etc) and if you can find a way to mount it where the existing coil goes, use that as a generator for charging batteries. I'm going to experiment with it, and if it goes well, I'll let you all know.

greaser_monkey_87

Mar 30, 2014
USA
I just ordered this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-GX160...Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d0e6d02f8&vxp=mtr it's a Honda gx charging coil. I'm going to see if I can make it fit my 98cc engine and see how good it works. For $10 with free shipping, it was worth the gamble. I fried my 3rd friction generator this week and I'm tired of going through them at $20 a pop, so this is a more permanent solution at half the cost if it works.

DaveM50

Jun 15, 2014
Minnesota
It should work, as long as it is close enough to the magnets on the flywheel to generate current.

Putting a friction generator on mine for the time being and will make a "project" out of the "wind generator" idea. It's quite easy to convert a ceiling fan into a generator....hang that off the back (possibly with the original blades), and it ought to crank out plenty. Not to mention that if you ever need a wind generator, all you have to do is take it off.

greaser_monkey_87

Mar 30, 2014
USA
I don't think it matters how close to the magnet the generator coil is. The "leaves" of a coil pick up the current. As long as the leaves of both coils are in contact with one another, they should both pick up current.

greaser_monkey_87

Mar 30, 2014
USA
The friction generator might last awhile or it might not. My second one lasted almost a year. The last one I just fried only lasted a couple weeks. Just so you know.

greaser_monkey_87

Mar 30, 2014
USA
I just finished mounting the Honda coil. It didn't bolt right to the ignition coil like I'd hoped, so I had to get creative. I did not get to test it, because it started pouring down rain. As soon as it stops, I will test it and post back.

dtv5403

May 4, 2015
USA
I am currently looking into a few ideas for this myself, I have had a couple of brainstorms lately on the idea and one of my ideas should work for just about any small engine but I'm waiting to find out if it's even a viable idea before posting about it here. Another idea may only work for the predator engine specifically, waiting to hear back about that one as well. If they're not viable ideas, no point in posting them here but if they are viable, they will likely be so cheap and simple that just about anyone can install them and like I said, the one idea would work for any engine if it works at all. It would put wonderful creations and almost any other lighting company out of business because you'd be able to build your own lighting setup for probably less than a 3rd of the cost of any lighting kit currently on the market.

dtv5403

May 4, 2015
USA
The tractor generator setup is not a bad idea, but I believe there has to be a cheaper, simpler way to obtain generator power.

dtv5403

May 4, 2015
USA
I'm not getting any straight answers from the small engine forum, so I will post my ideas here to see what everyone's thoughts are. I know a little about electronics, but not enough to know if my ideas are stupid, so please don't flame me.