Hello people, I am a heavy commuter at least 34 miles a day.

GoldenMotor.com

247Jude

Apr 4, 2009
Sudbury
I have a few bikes that I use for this commute and have gone through 5 frames do to frame fractures and breaks. I have bent one and have bent one set of forks.

247Jude

Apr 4, 2009
Sudbury
Thanks for the welcome!
I was wandering about frames, I weigh about 270 Lbs and I am going quite a distance on these bikes on rough roads and trails!
Does any one use a thicker gage tube to make there bike fames, or is building my own gonna be my only option?

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I think your best bets for durability are:
Worksman (or any industrial bike) or a chromoly steel MTB.
You will not find chromoly steel in bikes that retail for $99.
There are plenty of used chromo steel mountain bikes around.
The frame tubing sticker is usually on the seat tube.
My motor bike frame is Tange chromoly and has been bullet proof.
The frame cost me $10 at a swap meet.
Good luck.

247Jude

Apr 4, 2009
Sudbury
I have two Diamondback cr.mo frames(topaganda,cr-mo) and a KHS true temper and a europa. One of the bike frames that did not split but I noticed the frame fracture at the point of mount( I believe it was due to drill mounting the universal ht mount) was a cr.mo Precision Nutrel MCustache pr6030 (weighs as much as a normal mountain) but it is one in a million to find anouther! I would have to mail order the workhorse making it cost mint. I am going to try the topaganda and europa and see witch lasts the longest.

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
I weigh the same as you and my struggles as of late deal with flats and stuff.
Running solid tubes right now but the ride is nowhere near as smooth as air tires.
I've also had problems with back wheels bending but I have a wheelman wheel in back of Cronus holds up really well.
On MOOP2 though my vintage made in the USA bike that back wheel is original and hasn't bent at all and I have hundreds of 2 stroke miles on that puppy so my advice in finding a good strong bike is go with vintage made in the USA old school. They REALLY don't make them like they used to no joke.
And another benefit for the 2 stroke fans is that the frame is skinny enough for a stock mount.
When you use the mounts as designed without drilling it seems to hold up really well.
My trike is a worksman and the two rear tires in back really helps alot with my weight.
Once I get my gearing dialed in on my modified Titan up front with that CVT it's gonna be my main ride when I need to haul a load.
Cronus my Titan Cruiser is currently my daily ride.

247Jude

Apr 4, 2009
Sudbury
The topanga Diamondback frame is half the weight, 100% oversized CR-MO. Putting on RST ct-com II 1.125 suspention fork. Schwinn adjustable goose neck, beach cruser handle bar, aluminum suspention seat post, shimano 200GS shift set. 2x26inch steel 14 gage wheels with 2.125 gator back tires. It should have a good chance.