Do we have to use the tiny expensive bottles of 2-stroke motor oil?

GoldenMotor.com

wildwestrider

Apr 17, 2009
Austin, Tejas
Can we use regular motor oil when mixing oil and gas,...or,...do we have to use the tiny bottles that are labled "2 stroke Oil"?

When I was a kid,...I always mixed regular motor oil with gas for my 2 stroke go Kart.

BC

city of angels

May 24, 2009
tucson az
hi why dont you go to the home depot thats where i buy my oil for my bike the oil is made by rioby is synthetic oil is really good right now i am using 32.1 and it working well the oil is really good and price is decent

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine
You get ripped off if you buy it in the little bottles, get a quart sized bottle, they are much cheaper per amount of oil you get.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
That's what the people who design and build these motors use.
True enough! (but I've seen some angry Chinese guys with fouled plugs! .duh. )
zpt

The problem with motor oil isn't so much on the bottom end (actually nice) but the ash (unburnable solids) is too high so your plug will quickly load up.

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
I was staying with friends in Shen Zhen and asked about the jug of what looked like oil in the corner of the room. They said it was drained from the car and being allowed to "settle" before mixing 50:50 with new motor oil for use in the bike engine. :eek:

wildwestrider

Apr 17, 2009
Austin, Tejas
I was staying with friends in Shen Zhen and asked about the jug of what looked like oil in the corner of the room. They said it was drained from the car and being allowed to "settle" before mixing 50:50 with new motor oil for use in the bike engine. :eek:
So, ...Is there an oil by the quart or gallon that is a better buy...and doesn't foul the plugs?

BC

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
So, ...Is there an oil by the quart or gallon that is a better buy...and doesn't foul the plugs?
BC
I've been using Supertech 2-stroke oil from Walmart for about 5 years now and seems to work great. $7.99/gal. Used on the 4 bikes I currently ride and a couple dozen bikes I did for others.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
i use master mechanic multi-purpose 2-cycle oil for air cooled engines.
i bought it at a hardware store in a quart bottle for around $3.
im still on the same bottle,the oil works pretty good,no smoke from exhaust,my engine starts the first time everytime,engine has plenty of power and speed.

joeblow

Sep 27, 2008
I was just at the autoparts store buying the wrong oil I think after doing some research (10w-40 motorcycle oil) but will return for the Lucas 2 stroke oil that is low ash and "environmentally friendly" according to the bottle. It is a little pricey at 9 bucks a quart though. Maybe this would be good oil if you are having emission problems.