Buying in California, problems arise...

GoldenMotor.com

mummyjohn

Jun 17, 2009
California
I paid for a bike engine on eBay, only to find out hours later that the seller did not ship to California because of C.A.R.B. laws. I complied with their request to cancel the transaction; I get a refund and am still bereft of a motor. I figured that was only one paranoid seller and that others would not be so...annoying. Anyway, after checking page after page on eBay, I couldn't find a single person that shipped to California. Now, last time I checked, governments don't check what people are buying on eBay, so if I were to buy one of these, the seller would not get in trouble for shipping it to me in California. But that's dancing around the point.

Here's the long and short of it: does anyone here know where I can purchase a bicycle motor and get it in California?

Shadeslay

Feb 25, 2009
Arroyo Grande, Ca
The vendors, I know of that ship to ca. All but usabikemotors are vendors on here, but if you want a cheap grubee in Ca. they are about your only option "my last engine came from them with no issues". Dax has super customer support and good engines from what I've read. Spooky's a bit pricey but another good option. Zone8, I had no problem with the motor I ordered, but have read a few people having issues with customer support.

Dax , USABikeMotors , Spooky Tooth Cycles and Zone8 .

Last edited:

Forbisher

Dec 28, 2008
Orange County, CA.
he is local too with no shipping if you are in the area!
Thanks for the plug Willi :D

I have the only Grubbee 66 cc GT4 kits that I know of......
I bought the last of them and just got them on Monday

I have a very limited supply and am thinking about blue printing most
of them kinda like Chris Hill

Sorry, I won't ship even within California so its pick up only.

Last edited:

Maxvision

Jun 13, 2009
San Diego, CA
My roomie got all excited about the deal I got on a bike and motor from a friend. He started looking around and found a guy that sells on craigslist. We live in San Diego and the seller lives in Tierrasanta (same town pretty much). So, have you tried craigslist?

robinredd

Mar 13, 2015
california
I paid for a bike engine on eBay, only to find out hours later that the seller did not ship to California because of C.A.R.B. laws. I complied with their request to cancel the transaction; I get a refund and am still bereft of a motor. I figured that was only one paranoid seller and that others would not be so...annoying. Anyway, after checking page after page on eBay, I couldn't find a single person that shipped to California. Now, last time I checked, governments don't check what people are buying on eBay, so if I were to buy one of these, the seller would not get in trouble for shipping it to me in California. But that's dancing around the point.

Here's the long and short of it: does anyone here know where I can purchase a bicycle motor and get it in California?
bike berry will ship to california as long as you agree that you will not ride it on the street

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
bike berry will ship to california as long as you agree that you will not ride it on the street
welcome to the forum robinredd, dont know if you realized it or not but this thread is 6 years old and as far as I know none of these people are active members any longer.

But yeah we have several vendors who ship to Cal. and whats funny to me is that some that dont ate actually selling from Cal....lol

Some seriously screwed up laws there...... Great people, beautiful state.... bad government....!

Last edited:

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
Call Duane @ ThatsDax and tell him you want a Balanced Bottom This week and will want the matching Top end Next week. And while you're speaking with him ask about other pieces you will want/need. Quality Motor parts One stop shop for all else. No Duane doesn't pay me nothing but appreciation for my business. As he will yours. Jake's is another great place to buy.