New from California

GoldenMotor.com

theisaac

Sep 22, 2015
California
Hi, I've been looking into the idea of getting a motorized bicycle for some time now. I sold my car very recently and well, it makes a lot of sense to get one. I'm ready to pull the trigger, but I've been trying to do as much research as possible before getting into it.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Howdy & welcome to the clubhouse!!

Yep, do a good job on the research.....Cali has some different rules and requirements than other parts of the country.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
many folks in CA that don't have a centrifugal clutch, don't have reg or license

check out DMV form 'reg230' at question #3

gray area, so let conscience be your guide

theisaac

Sep 22, 2015
California
many folks in CA that don't have a centrifugal clutch, don't have reg or license

Interesting, so if I get a 2 stroke with handle clutch, it doesn't qualify as a moped.

CalmJackal

Sep 17, 2015
CA
Hi. I'm new here as well and from Cali too. The laws and regulations are just confusing here. I invested time for research

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
Welcome! I've never gotten a license and have been riding around my CA town for years now. I was thinking of getting a license plate though.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
The clutch argument won't work. Bottom line, gas motor, regardless of size, needs registration and you need an M2.

There's plenty of threads on here about CA laws.

If you want to see them all, google "california dmv index m." Scroll down to motorized bicycle.

The laws are actually pretty clear, and most cops won't hassle you, depending on where you ride. Newport beach will impound your bike if it, or you, aren't legal. Most other OC cities, you can ride around barefoot with speedos on and they won't bother you.

If you think you found a loophole, good luck in court.

Oh, and welcome to the forum. :)

theisaac

Sep 22, 2015
California
Yeah I was thinking of getting the M2 license anyway. Since I'm getting a 4-stroke engine for comfort. Maybe both and try both engines at some point.

SoCalBoy

Aug 20, 2015
Southern Calif

Not meant as a correction but merely additional info... If U go 2 Phantom Bikes in San Diego, they will tell U that as long as it doesn't go over 30 mph, is below 50cc, has working pedals that turn rear wheel, etc., U do NOT need any registration. These guys R in the business of making and selling these kinds of bikes to the public and they know what they're talking about. I've been to their location and spoke with the owner in person... Really nice people.

Hope this helps...dance1

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to the forum. We're glad you've found us. You might be interested to know that our current membership is near 48,000. Maybe those bikers you see are all members here.

Congratulations on your first build and hope to see more from you.

Have fun and ride safe.

Tom

johnnywheels

Nov 19, 2015
Nevada
Hi. I'm new here as well and from Cali too. The laws and Airwheel Q1 regulations are just confusing here. I invested time for research
I have a buddy who is just now getting into it as well in San Diego and he was mentioning some of the regulations and I they were confusing to say the least! Nevada is much smoother for sure.

Last edited:

SoCalBoy

Aug 20, 2015
Southern Calif
@JohnnyWheels & CalmJackal,

I guess I don't understand the confusion. Yes, there R some "rules" but they're rather straight forward... It has to be a bicycle with real working pedals, 30 mph or less, 49cc or less, bicycle helmet MUST be worn, and you must be 16 years or older.

It really is that simple. One of this sites sponsors is Phantom Bikes, please click on the link and watch the video from Jay Leno's Garage. They are a very reputable business and they have no problems here in Calif. and they have many customers that just get on and ride... No problems, no confusion.

Hope this helps...

SoCalBoy

Aug 20, 2015
Southern Calif
It's nice that you've posted about Mopeds (I guess). I don't ride a moped. I ride a bicycle that I have added a motor to.

I fully agree that what you've found (and posted) can seem fully applicable... but it's not. Here's why:

1) There are no speed limits on bicycles. Period. I have pedaled my bicycle (no motor installed) well into the 30's and 40's MPH and one time at 51 MPH, and have done so in 4 different counties and multiple cities in each county in the full presence of police, sheriff, and CHP, and as long as I do not exceed the posted speed limit and follow all other traffic laws, I have done nothing illegal.

2) CVC Sec. 406(a) is referring to a moped. I admit that the way that they wrote it makes it very confusing, but, they are talking about mopeds.

3) First and foremost, what we're talking about are bicycles. As such, it is sold as a "device" that is designed to solely function as a bicycle (human powered). Mopeds (often called "motorized bicycles") are NOT routinely sold as an exclusively human powered "device". If I put a motor on a regular bicycle, it's STILL a bicycle. Likewise, if I remove the motor from a moped, it's STILL a moped.

To clarify things for myself, I went down to the DMV and had a discussion with various staff members there; I also called their 800 number. Everyone that I spoke with all said the same things.

Note:
I have posted this to help those that are hoping to get into this mode of transportation. I'm not AT ALL interested in a who can out post whom or who is "right and wrong".

I hope this helps...

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
California issues the following
license classes for two-wheel
vehicle operation:

Class M1—You may operate
any two-wheel motorcycle,
motor-driven cycle, or motorized
scooter and all vehicles
listed under Class M2.
NOTE: The permit and license
requirements in this handbook
pertain to two-wheel vehicles
and are referenced in Section
12804.9 of the California
Vehicle Code.

Class M2—You may operate
any motorized bicycle, moped,
or a bicycle with an attached
motor,
or a motorized scooter

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I stated that I wasn't interested in all of this back and forth... So, I will let you continue to confuse the masses. Enjoy...
Hey, I am just posting what CA says about the legality of motorized bikes.

Don't shoot the messenger.
I don't write or endorse the CA mb laws but your denial will not change anything.

You must not have a drivers license to be this blinded and confused by fairly straight forward wording in the 2015 Motorcycle manual.

I post so the masses are not confused by you.
Telling the cop that the Phantom Bike guy on Jay Leno or the drone at the DMV said that it was OK probably won't save you from a ticket or worse.....

PS: This is a public forum were just about anyone can have their say. :)

Jan 21, 2015
Portland, Oregon
I rode around watsonville, aptos, and santa cruz for 2 years with a manual clutch 66cc 2 stroke and passed 100s of cops, even asked one about it one time and he said "don't ride like a jackass and nobody will bother you" so far, with that advice in mind, I have yet to be pulled over. Same with my new 4 stroke build up in portland.