Hi from Seattle, WA!

GoldenMotor.com

Acrid

Apr 21, 2014
Seattle, WA.
Hey guys, I'm primarily a motorcycle rider but want to break into the motorbicycle thing. I figure it'll be good to get acquainted with 2-stroke basics and fun/frustrating.
One thing that has me worried is the WA state legislation change in (I think) 2013 that calls a motorbicycle essentially a moped and gives a nod to e-bikes as acceptable. Although as of yet i havent found a way to legitimize a motorbicycle through the DOL. Maybe it'll be okay since I have a motorcycle endorsement?
Anyway, it'll be interesting since I want to half-motorcycle this thing with a small Givi case on the back, mirrors, signals, lights, and a fog horn. But that's way in the future and money dependent. dance1

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Welcome aboard.

I know little about the recent changes in Washington law. But I've gotten the feeling that they deliberately aimed at these types of bike. And, if so, that's a real pity.

You see, in most places where this type of bike was not strictly legal the police mostly didn't care as long as the rider behaved like a civilized member of traffic. But that might not hold true in a place that is actively trying to get rid of them. That could obviously be troublesome.

So I don't quite know what to say. Best of luck, of course. But you just might be in a place that won't tolerate you. I hope not.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome, Acrid. We're glad you've joined us. Good luck with your bike and good luck with the law makers. I hope things work well for you.

Bluegoat is right about riding sensibly. Most of the problems people have with motorized bicycles and the law can usually be traced back to 'questionable' riding style and behavior. Ride like you would your motorcycle and don't do things to attract negative attention and most cops will ignore you, for the most part.
Have fun and ride safe.

Tom

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
welcome acrid, you will find the motorized bicycle is like the fountain of youth. makes all of us feel like kids again