chain problem

GoldenMotor.com

4wdingman

Aug 26, 2008
Coffs Harbour, Australia
hey all
I went down the motorbike shop and brought a good motorike chain for $28 for my bike now here it is.
i can't tighten it becuace it too short but if i add another link its too long and i have to put the chain tension thing right back at the wheel.
What i was thinking is riding with the chain tension on and try to strech the chain so i can tighen it.

could anyone help me

Thanks

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
You don't want to purposely try to stretch the chain. You can get a half link for it and all your worries will be over.

Last edited:

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia
Hey, the link does'nt work... it says...."Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms. "

Anyways, half-links are great... I use the YBN BMX 1/2-1/8 half links. Toughest chain I have encountered, and it's light too...This chain enjoys breaking your chain breakers... have a spare 3 chain breakers or so...

ws50599

Sep 30, 2008
on some bikes there is a slack where the wheels tighten up on the nuts. Put the chain on and loosen the nuts that hold your wheel on and see if you need to add a link or just pull back on the wheel to tighten it. You may have to do the same with the other chain that's on your pedals.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
You could ride with the tight chain and take it easy. The chain will loosen up.

Actually, I'd install a chain tensioner. I'm making one right now for my Staton gear chain setup from a skateboard wheel I bought at a garage sale for $5. Everything should hang well with a spring,scrap metal and nut/bolt.

A tensioner would work well for almost any chain-driven machine. It places less tension on the system and allows you to change to different size sprockets without adjusting the chain or adding or subtracting links.^5