Afforable Go Karts & Sportsman Flyer broke a world record at Bonneville

GoldenMotor.com

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
You are dreaming.
133 mph must be a streamliner record.
There are all kind of classes.

Pat said the bike went about 76 mph on the street at sea level.
The AGK built GX 160 engine makes 17.5 hp.

The records at Bonneville are much slower than you would think,
it is hard to go fast on the salt at high elevation and it had to be
hot as ****.

50 cc standard type motorcycle record is only 77? mph
50 cc streamliner is 140? mph
I went off of Venice's post #3 in this thread and this record sheet:
http://www.scta-bni.org/Bonneville/Records/Bikes.html
Click on the 175cc column.

Or as it reads on SCTA's sheet,
APS-G Belen Wagner Honda 08/02 133.145

Last edited:

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Another update from AGK.
I can't wait to see some video's and more pics.

Affordable Go Karts said:
A gentleman named Gunther is the rider and the one who had the idea to do this. The record in our class was 64mph.
We broke that record on our first attempt and we broke our record this morning.
The adjustable timing kit has been very useful.
More details to come. It's very hot and salty out here...

Last edited:

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Hi Guys,
Just caught this thread. I will post more details when I get a chance. Gunther Maier was the pilot, I was the chassis builder with my crew, and Shane built a top notch engine. We ran in the 175cc APF class that had an existing 64.5 mph record. We broke that record on the first attempt at 69 mph and followed it up with a backup pass to get it into the record book. Came back and pushed it up two more times and left the record at just over 74 mph. Getting the bike past tech was a HUGE accomplishment. The people in our class still don't know what hit them!

Shane and I with our little beast.

Bonneville Salt Flats by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

Salt buildup after a record run.

magrider

Aug 24, 2010
OrangeCounty, CA
Congratulations, breaking the record by 9.5 mph.

just a couple of questions, how much did the pilot weigh? how much air pressure in the tires? how many people in the class?

I just think it is awesome that you went to compete at Bonneville, and set a new record the first time out. What a great accomplishment from 2 builders in our community.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
pat, you guys are my current heroes. bonneville (and a record) has been a goal of mine since i got into these bikes, and you guys went out and pulled it off.

next year, maybe we can get a group of guys together and take a few more records.

when you're back home and after you've settled down, i need to pick your brain about some things for my 50cc bike.

congrats, man, you guys rule...:)

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Who is Gunther Maier?
Here is a picture of Gunther. He is a very serious rider and gets all the credit for figuring out classes on the salt, rules interpretation, and manufacturers classifications. Like I said, getting this bike through tech was a huge accomplishment. We had an entire team to make this happen. I am the manufacturer on record, Shane with AGK built and tuned the engines, my brother Rich helped with design and engineering, Skip was involved in testing and tuning, and Dave was the machinest. Our team was top notch.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i'm stil figuring out which engine i'm going to use. then it comes down to making a supercharger or a turbo work. i could build a turbocharged aprilia like the budfab streamliner, or get my supercharger idea working and bolt it into a custom bike which would put me in the A-BF class, or just modified gas (A-G.)

records are:

A-BF / J. Arhens / Kreidler / 08/81 / 75.697mph

A-G / Van Butler Racing / Aprilla / 08/04 / 85.927mph

i'd love to take down the A-BF record, 'cause by next year it'll have stood for 32 years.

i've got a lot of details to nail down to make a race-legal bike, and once i decide on the motor, gotta see if super/turbocharging it will work, so it's still undecided. and i'm gonna need more than one motor. i'm sure i'll destroy a few as i go along...

i can't wait to see what kind of speeds i can squeeze out of a real motor!...:)

mostly, the build's gonna be on the down-low until i make some progress.

Last edited:

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
You guys are motorized bicycle superheros!
When I was a wee lad, I saw a glimpse, first hand, of what it takes to compete on the salt.
The work is daunting, and definitely a labor of love.
I am very happy for all of you!

buba

Jul 2, 2010
los angeles
buba here

congratulations pat, shane and the rest of you guys involved that is so coooool that you have taken your skills out to the range and shot down the record--super!!!!

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I had a brief talk with Shane this AM whilst ordering some trinkets, he said there was a guy with 3 bikes contending, 2 of them turbocharged and they pretty much spanked his 175cc turbo charged motorcycle with the 160cc motorized bicycle. Very impressive if ya ask me.......great victory guys! A lot of very hard work I'm sure, but worth it.

brnot

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
We actually brought a few bikes with us. One was a back-up to the race bike so it had a lot of identical components in case we needed spares. Here is a picture of it getting a workout in front of the camera. First time I ever saw a bike smile!

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
We actually brought a few bikes with us. One was a back-up to the race bike so it had a lot of identical components in case we needed spares. Here is a picture of it getting a workout in front of the camera. First time I ever saw a bike smile!

That poor saddle......oh how I hate not being it at a time like dat :D laff

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
SCTA Speed Week 2012
Event Records - Bikes
'Unofficial'

12-Aug-12 35B Bonneville Flyer 175CC A-PF 69.361 Gunther Maier
14-Aug-12 35B Bonneville Flyer 175CC A-PF 71.040 Gunther Maier
15-Aug-12 35B Bonneville Flyer 175CC A-PF 73.526 Gunther Maier