0.0 Is this a CRACK?!

GoldenMotor.com

Mr. Minecraft

Visionary
Jan 13, 2012
San Diego
My dad is friends with the owner, and the welder is experienced in the field of TIG welding... So im looking at great service for about 30 bucks MAX.

tigmaster

Jul 17, 2011
ann arbor
Sounds like a good price,save him some time and remove the paint...A little heat from a small torch and a wire brush will clean it up for better penetration...Not too hot just enough to burn the paint then brush the area real good...It'll be ez to see if theres more hair line cracks hiding under paint...I think Your weldor will thankyou!....Tigmaster....

LaLongueCarabine

Aug 15, 2011
United States
Dude that frame cracked in two different directions.
It was stressed very bad or there is something wrong with the steel.
I wouldn't repair it, any welding will add localized heat and will change the temper of the
steel and not in a good way. I don't think you can normalize all that stress. It will crack again and in the same area. Perhaps brazing would work,,,

Mr. Minecraft

Visionary
Jan 13, 2012
San Diego
Well ya, I get that. All I need to do is fix it well enough to sell, then I'm going to build one with an in frame titan, I just need a good bike recommendation for under $200.

Mr. Minecraft

Visionary
Jan 13, 2012
San Diego
your gonna do WHAT!!!!!
taking a chance somebody may get hurt on something you sell is just NOT cool
I will test ride it for a few days and see what happens. If it seems alright, I will sell it.

On a side note, if they weld it properly and fix all the cracks, why would it NOT be safe to ride?

And yes sir, i will post pics :)

LaLongueCarabine

Aug 15, 2011
United States
I will test ride it for a few days and see what happens. If it seems alright, I will sell it.

On a side note, if they weld it properly and fix all the cracks, why would it NOT be safe to ride?

And yes sir, i will post pics :)
for a few reasons:
1. welding is not like gluing together two pieces of wood, welding leaves stresses in the metal. First the local weld area expands from the heat, the patent metal pushes back and when the weld area cools and contracts it leaves some of this stress.
2. unless they heat the weld area you will have a weld that heats and then cools real fast making the weld joint brittle.
3. the frame cracked in two directions, meaning that the frame was banged real hard against something or the steel of the frame was heat treated poorly and is junk.
4. Lastly they fact you want to sell, shows your confidence level isn't there and you distrust the repair.
:-||

Mr. Minecraft

Visionary
Jan 13, 2012
San Diego
You bet if welded correctly not a problem . I've welded a lot of them an never had a problem . I'm certified welder an have been for 40 yrs Dan
Exactly! And I am hoping that this will be welded correctly. I will put multiple pictures up after i get the bike back monday. The welder was not in today.

Mr. Minecraft

Visionary
Jan 13, 2012
San Diego
for a few reasons:
1. welding is not like gluing together two pieces of wood, welding leaves stresses in the metal. First the local weld area expands from the heat, the patent metal pushes back and when the weld area cools and contracts it leaves some of this stress.
2. unless they heat the weld area you will have a weld that heats and then cools real fast making the weld joint brittle.
3. the frame cracked in two directions, meaning that the frame was banged real hard against something or the steel of the frame was heat treated poorly and is junk.
4. Lastly they fact you want to sell, shows your confidence level isn't there and you distrust the repair.
:-||
Pertaining to you saying i am not confident in the repair. I need the money to build a super computer or a really nice 4 stroke bike. I was going to sell it anyways before i found the crack. You can even check my CG posting.

fx-2

Oct 7, 2011
Tucson Arizona
I was posting about repairing a car or truck frame . The bike frame is a whole other thing . The welds a under cut very bad . The frame was just slapped together as fast as possible . You might get it repaired by rewelding it but I would reinforce it with some gussets just to make sure . These thing are not designed for a motor . Dan

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
That is an E.R. visit you can avoid! For the $$$ I like Schwinn. My Point Beach, OCC Stingrays, & Del Mar Models have held up well. Don't ride that frame. (c)

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
You bet if welded correctly not a problem . I've welded a lot of them an never had a problem . I'm certified welder an have been for 40 yrs Dan
If this was true then you would know that there are some frames that you can NOT weld on due to the special steel used to make them... Dodge trucks are one example Big rigs are another

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
What is ones life worth in comparison of a very cheep replaceable frame? To me that frame looks to have very brittle steel to it.