Powder Coat a China Girl Motor

GoldenMotor.com

Tulsa_Rider

Feb 14, 2012
Tulsa, OK
Well I just got my bike frame back from the powdercoat place and it looks great. So great in fact that I wish the rest of my bike looked the same. Here is my question: Is it possible to powder coat the entire motor?

I have not had a chance to talk to the guys at the shop because it is the weekend. Also I have tried engine enamel. I am a horrible painter, and it chips off too easily. Has anyone done this?

I know the process involves baking the coated pieces, I am not sure of the temperature, but the motors get pretty hot anyway. FYI the motor has never been used and does not contain any fuel or oil.

Lazy Dog

Oct 13, 2011
STL
Re: Powder Coat a China Girl

You will need High temp powder, should be cured at about 400-450, I have done HT motors and dirt bike motors. since it's crap aluminum it should still be per-baked(all motors should be) to help alleviate out-gassing but it can be done with great results.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas

I agree. Any motor can be power coated. But considering the short life, and low cost, I think I'll stick with rattle can coating.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast

I'm sure it could be done, yet I suspect it might hold in engine heat???
I guess most mc engines are painted nowadays, and my 48 is blacked...
One thing for certain, these chinagirls are an excellent testbed for doing things.
It's just not a big loss if something fails.
I just saw a completely chrome plated engine for sale on the bay, a few hours ago.
Definitely snappy looking! lol
Good luck
rc

Tulsa_Rider

Feb 14, 2012
Tulsa, OK

Its been a while since I checked this, but I decided to go have it done anyway. I didn't even see the replies until this morning.

I bought a motor a couple of weeks ago that came black, although it was gloss instead of matte like my frame. The paint job was horrible, it didn't even cover the entire motor, the paint was chipping all over the place and they got a good deal of run off in the intake and exhaust ports. I thought about just touching up the parts where they messed up but I don't like the way that it stands out against my frame.

Also I have a couple of other parts that I want to get done to match. So what I have decided to do is to powder coat it myself. I already have a soda blaster which I am going to use to get the old paint off, and the powder coat guns aren't terribly expensive. The oven is where I was stuck but I had an idea for a DIY Infrared oven that I have been sourcing parts for. I didn't realize the temps had to be so high. Most of the info that i read was somewhere between 350 and 400, this could pose problems. I do not think that my oven will produce those temps, I will see what I can come up with.

I know it seems like a lot of trouble for something that is GOING to be scratched and dinged anyway but I like to mess around and it seems to me that once I have the supplies on hand I have all kinds of little things laying around that don't need to be coated but sure will if I have the tools to do it myself.

I think that by the time I finish this bike I will not even want to ride it, instead hang it on the wall and stare at it or something. LOL

Thanks for you advise. If I ever get around to building the oven I will post an update.

PORTA

Nov 29, 2009
VIRGINIA

its been a while since i checked this, but i decided to go have it done anyway. I didn't even see the replies until this morning.

I bought a motor a couple of weeks ago that came black, although it was gloss instead of matte like my frame. The paint job was horrible, it didn't even cover the entire motor, the paint was chipping all over the place and they got a good deal of run off in the intake and exhaust ports. I thought about just touching up the parts where they messed up but i don't like the way that it stands out against my frame.

Also i have a couple of other parts that i want to get done to match. So what i have decided to do is to powder coat it myself. I already have a soda blaster which i am going to use to get the old paint off, and the powder coat guns aren't terribly expensive. The oven is where i was stuck but i had an idea for a diy infrared oven that i have been sourcing parts for. I didn't realize the temps had to be so high. Most of the info that i read was somewhere between 350 and 400, this could pose problems. I do not think that my oven will produce those temps, i will see what i can come up with.

I know it seems like a lot of trouble for something that is going to be scratched and dinged anyway but i like to mess around and it seems to me that once i have the supplies on hand i have all kinds of little things laying around that don't need to be coated but sure will if i have the tools to do it myself.

I think that by the time i finish this bike i will not even want to ride it, instead hang it on the wall and stare at it or something. Lol

thanks for you advise. If i ever get around to building the oven i will post an update.
hey i have the perfect solution for you. Just go to any dav good will and pick up a cook stove it can be a pc of crap as long as the oven works .i am a fabricator and i have pc alot . In fact i have my own pc setup and paint alot of small stuff for folks around my way. Just one thing after you use the oven to bake out the powder do not use it to cook in not good.good luck with the powder coating.

Joe_Knesek

Oct 22, 2011
Lyndhurst, Ohio

If you stick with a dark color the powder coating should hold up just fine. The motor will need to be taken apart. You will also want to outgas it for at least 45 minutes since the castings are porous.

Tulsa_Rider

Feb 14, 2012
Tulsa, OK

hey i have the perfect solution for you. Just go to any dav good will and pick up a cook stove it can be a pc of crap as long as the oven works .i am a fabricator and i have pc alot . In fact i have my own pc setup and paint alot of small stuff for folks around my way. Just one thing after you use the oven to bake out the powder do not use it to cook in not good.good luck with the powder coating.
I did consider that but I have no where to store the oven when it is not in use. My roommate does not want the oven sitting in the yard, the shed is already full of my garden stuff, and we converted the garage into a bar so I do not even have a workshop. All the work that I do is either outside on my porch or in the living room on a piece of cardboard.

My idea was to use a steel oil drum and one of those round counter top convection ovens most from the flea market or good will. Cut a hole in the top of the barrel just big enough for the heating unit. It will appease my roommate because I can stored more discreetly. Also I think that I can design it to serve as a triple as a cabinet for sandblasting and the powder coating.

Joe_Knesek

Oct 22, 2011
Lyndhurst, Ohio

I did consider that but I have no where to store the oven when it is not in use. My roommate does not want the oven sitting in the yard, the shed is already full of my garden stuff, and we converted the garage into a bar so I do not even have a workshop. All the work that I do is either outside on my porch or in the living room on a piece of cardboard.

My idea was to use a steel oil drum and one of those round counter top convection ovens most from the flea market or good will. Cut a hole in the top of the barrel just big enough for the heating unit. It will appease my roommate because I can stored more discreetly. Also I think that I can design it to serve as a triple as a cabinet for sandblasting and the powder coating.
Good luck with that.

PORTA

Nov 29, 2009
VIRGINIA

Tulsa_Rider YOUR BARREL IDEA WILL WORK I BUILT ONE A LITTLE DIF BUT YOUR SAME IDEA I MADE A PILE OF MONEY WITH IT SO IT WILL WORK AND WITH AMAZING RESULTS.JUS BE SURE TO PUT A THERMOMETER IN IT GO TO LOWES GET ONE FOR COOK GRILL AND IT WILL WORK FINE.OH BTW MY BARREL OVEN IS STILL WORKING AFTER ABOUT 5 YEARS OF USE.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

I just paint my engines. There isn't enough heat, even near the exhaust manifold, to hurt the paint. I don't use high temperature engine paint but have had good luck with Dupli-Color rattle can paint. I do clear coat with Top Flite model airplane clear to protect against gasoline spills.
Powder coating seems to me a waste of money. $6.50 will buy a can of Dupli-Color, another $5.00 for the clear. The powder coat job will cost a lot more than that and offer little advantage.
If you're set on the idea be warned that you'll need to protect any threads and gasket surfaces from getting powder coated. Whoever does the job for you needs to be aware of those areas or you'll have some work ahead of you rethreading and removing the coating from machined gasket surfaces.

Tom

Tulsa_Rider

Feb 14, 2012
Tulsa, OK

Tulsa_Rider YOUR BARREL IDEA WILL WORK I BUILT ONE A LITTLE DIF BUT YOUR SAME IDEA I MADE A PILE OF MONEY WITH IT SO IT WILL WORK AND WITH AMAZING RESULTS.JUS BE SURE TO PUT A THERMOMETER IN IT GO TO LOWES GET ONE FOR COOK GRILL AND IT WILL WORK FINE.OH BTW MY BARREL OVEN IS STILL WORKING AFTER ABOUT 5 YEARS OF USE.
Thanks for the encouragement Porta

As an oven yes but I would not try to make it a dual purpose blast cabinet.
Is there a reason for this? My first thought was that maybe the barrel wouldn't make a suitable blast cabinet because it is not a very thick gauge, but I could not think of any other reasons.

I just paint my engines. There isn't enough heat, even near the exhaust manifold, to hurt the paint. I don't use high temperature engine paint but have had good luck with Dupli-Color rattle can paint. I do clear coat with Top Flite model airplane clear to protect against gasoline spills.
Powder coating seems to me a waste of money. $6.50 will buy a can of Dupli-Color, another $5.00 for the clear. The powder coat job will cost a lot more than that and offer little advantage.
If you're set on the idea be warned that you'll need to protect any threads and gasket surfaces from getting powder coated. Whoever does the job for you needs to be aware of those areas or you'll have some work ahead of you rethreading and removing the coating from machined gasket surfaces.

Tom
I know paint is cheap and much easier, the only advantage is that it will be a closer match to the bike (which is my main quarrel with it right now). Its like I said; I like the idea of powder coating it and I have lots of things that don't need to be coated but will end up that way if I prove successful.

I was going to do it assembled with the intake manifold on and another secured to the exhaust, a bolt in the spark hole, old threaded rods in themounting holes, and any other opening masked with high temp tape. It seems like I covered everything, but you are right it could be a time consuming mistake to powder coat in those places. Thanks for you input, it is appreciated.

Joe_Knesek

Oct 22, 2011
Lyndhurst, Ohio

Thanks for the encouragement Porta

Is there a reason for this? My first thought was that maybe the barrel wouldn't make a suitable blast cabinet because it is not a very thick gauge, but I could not think of any other reasons.

I know paint is cheap and much easier, the only advantage is that it will be a closer match to the bike (which is my main quarrel with it right now). Its like I said; I like the idea of powder coating it and I have lots of things that don't need to be coated but will end up that way if I prove successful.

I was going to do it assembled with the intake manifold on and another secured to the exhaust, a bolt in the spark hole, old threaded rods in themounting holes, and any other opening masked with high temp tape. It seems like I covered everything, but you are right it could be a time consuming mistake to powder coat in those places. Thanks for you input, it is appreciated.
Blast cabinets create a lot of static cling which traps dirt and oil within the cabinet. When you place an uncured powdercoated part in the cabinet, the dirt and oil will be attracted to the part.

Also you do not want to coat the motor without taking it apart because it will make it nearly impossible to get apart later. Plus the oil will seep from the gaskets when you bake it which will ruin the job.

Last edited:

Chrisflik

Apr 2, 2011
California

Well I just got my bike frame back from the powdercoat place and it looks great. So great in fact that I wish the rest of my bike looked the same. Here is my question: Is it possible to powder coat the entire motor?

I have not had a chance to talk to the guys at the shop because it is the weekend. Also I have tried engine enamel. I am a horrible painter, and it chips off too easily. Has anyone done this?

I know the process involves baking the coated pieces, I am not sure of the temperature, but the motors get pretty hot anyway. FYI the motor has never been used and does not contain any fuel or oil.

This is what a painted motor looks like if you were wondering..
Or could look like.

Attachments