+7 mph by fixxing poor quality on 66cc

GoldenMotor.com

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
410 is fine if you don't have a 415 motor gear and what most kits come with, just use an HD Z-chain, the BMX style, they are pretty tough.
The leaking carb/manifold is a common and well-known issue and it's easily remedied by a simple o-ring placed inside the manifold.
You must be referring to NT carbs not having an O ring as CNS carbs come with one, it is just too darn short to do the job so you need to seal them up at the groove on top.

I have started using this Permatx Ultra Copper High Temp RTV silicone gasket maker, it is gas resistant and remains slightly pliable.

It likes like this when applied on a CNS.

I have a topic here about it, 'Inside the CNS Carb'.

Personally I've never had an air leak issue on an NT carb with no sealing at all, but I can sure see an O ring in there being worth the extra buck.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
My 2cents would be with kcv regarding splitting the cases of a new engine just for basic inspection.

From the many, many threads and posts I have reviewed here on the forum, and my limited experience with this flavor of engine, there have been a very limited number of problems with the crank and rod assembly.
SO, the odds are in your favor, in that respect. lol

There are a number of probs reported regarding the crank seals.
However, I would NOT advise pulling the pinion, or the rotor, on the opposite side of the crank, just to inspect the seal. If there is a problem with running too lean, that might be the second, or third thing I would inspect, though.

Good idea to inspect the clutch disk bearings, though...

...With a new kit MAB, IMO, the rag joint and chain idler are the most treacherous items requiring close attention.
For the power unit, the carb will require the most attention.

And I'll voice my opinion again, since I've hopped up on the soapbox; a coaster brake has NO PLACE on a motor assisted bicycle !

Best
rc

Motorbikermark

Nov 16, 2011
Western N.C.
I think I'm going towards the Dax RT carb. And I am currently running a coaster brake but only til I am able to weld on some brake bosses and change over to avid mechanical disc.

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
I think I'm going towards the Dax RT carb. And I am currently running a coaster brake but only til I am able to weld on some brake bosses and change over to avid mechanical disc.
Way to go if you really want braking POWER ! an instead of welding on bosses look into bicycle designer they make a adaptor for that its well made an worth it .
Gary

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Smiles at RC ;-}
'And I'll voice my opinion again, since I've hopped up on the soapbox; a coaster brake has NO PLACE on a motor assisted bicycle !'

Well, a coaster brake does have one place, as a 3rd 'emergency brake' on top of your front and rear dual-pull brakes.
This is what I like to use as my baseline 'Good and Safe' build.

That particular build has added shocks with a V-brake in front and I added a side pull brake on back on top of the coaster brake so it stops in a hurry.

I also like to swap out the rear wheels 18 tooth sprocket for a 19T on bikes like this.
I have a pictorial of that and a little more pedal side stuff HERE.

This is mindlessly easy to do and like $10, but you get a double bonus with a 19T rear wheel coaster brake sprocket...

Not only does the reduced gear ratio make it possible to lay down a nice 'J' skid with just the coaster brake, it also makes it easier and faster to get your bike moving to 'bump start'.
I am currently running (just?) a coaster brake but only til I am able to weld on some brake bosses and change over to avid mechanical disc.
I am still up in the air on bicycle disc brakes...

They look cool and will stop you (in my tests) a tiny bit sooner, but for the hassle and cost to maintain even when the mount is already there, I really can't justify going out of my way to try to mod one in when there are other options that are much less expensive and far easier to maintain like V brakes, or even side pull rim brakes.

Front wheels are easy, they have a fixed mount point so it is just a matter of pulling the wheel and replacing disc pads, back wheels are another story if the bike doesn't have vertical dropout's but even then still a hassle.

All I really have to say about brakes, again, is don't skimp here!
If you can't bring your bike to a complete stop from YOUR top speed in about 25' or less you need to ride slower or get better brakes ;-}

Motorbikermark

Nov 16, 2011
Western N.C.
I understand the intrepidation on going to disc brakes, The cost seems pretty steep to most, But trust me if you have ever ridden a disc brake bike over any amount of time you would be sold! I am an avid mountain biker and have three mountain bikes all of them disc. In the last 10 years all substantial MTB have gone to disc, A pair of wet rim brakes just isn't going to cut it while going down a mountain at speeds that our motorbikes aren't able to do for the most part. All you really need is front disc to improve your braking ten fold as 70% of your braking power is up front anyhow. Suntour XCT V2 suspension fork | eBay $60 w/shipping Bike Bicycle Disc Disk Brake Calipers 160mm 6 Bolts R | eBay $33 w/shipping Amazon.com: WTB Dual Duty shimano 6-Bolt Disc Front Wheel 26 x 1.75 32H Blk/Blk: Sports & Outdoors $55 . So for about $150 your getting front suspension, A stronger smoother wheel (less resistence more speed!) and stronger braking, no loss of braking in the wet, and longer pad life. Theres a reason they don't put rim brakes on motorcycles. Some day soon all bikes will come with disc brakes...Trust me.

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
Smiles at RC ;-}
'And I'll voice my opinion again, since I've hopped up on the soapbox; a coaster brake has NO PLACE on a motor assisted bicycle !'

They look cool and will stop you (in my tests) a tiny bit sooner, but for the hassle and cost to maintain even when the mount is already there, I really can't justify going out of my way to try to mod one in when there are other options that are much less expensive and far easier to maintain like V brakes, or even side pull rim brakes.
DONT take me wrong here just listen to my opinion an thats all .
is the difference between stoping sooner worth your life if ever in that situation ? at least consider the upgrade at a later date , many others here run coaster brakes an I have heard no complaints .
Gary

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Disc brakes are the way to go. Like was said above, if you ride and compare to any other type of brake you'll never leave disc brakes. They're a world apart.

As for coaster brakes not for motorbikes: You're gonna get some arguments here from many who run them and swear by them. No, I wouldn't rely on them as my sole braking system but I wouldn't ride a bike without front brakes, preferably disc. But for the rear wheel, they'll perform
just fine.

I'm also confused by the claim that disc brakes are high maintenance. I just don't see that. If your exhaust is blowing on the rear rotor, or your chain is throwing lube on it, then you might have a problem. I'd suggest rerouting your muffler outlet and not over lubricating the chain if that's the problem. I have well over 1000 miles on a set of Avid disc brakes and I've not had to adjust the pad clearance but once. The pads are the originals.

That said, I will agree that if your riding surface is primarily dirt/sand/dust, then brakes, disc or otherwise will require more attention but that goes for the rest of the bike as well. Abrasive particles will wear things out quicker.
Tom

Last edited:

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
^^ This. The reports of all kinds of nasty stuff found in these engines (including my own) are too many to list. I consider it MANDATORY to do a full tear down, and inspection of every motor that you receive, before ever putting it into service. It's just cheap insurance.

Even still, after tearing down and cleaning, fixing threads, ect. I still had my first one go south after only 5 minutes of running! Turns out the main bearings completely self destructed, ( one side even spun in the case! )

I'm still going to try and rebuild this engine, so hopefully I'll at least have a spare when this new one expires. It truly S@#ks when....:-||
Ya know, (bit off-topic here) I wonder if my buddy could have made his Yugo last longer by doing the above. Of course, first you must WANT the Yugo to last longer...