riding downhill

GoldenMotor.com

AH64Apache

Jul 22, 2009
Mercer, WI
Hi Folks,
My ride to work is 6.5 miles. About half of the ride is on hilly, and bumpy, backroads. I have a question about going downhill. When I'm going downhill the motor sounds like its racing, so before I get to a downhill part I just lay off the throttle, but if I'm going 20 MPH or faster (I usually cruise at about 20-25 mph) the engine "races" as I'm going downhill. Would it be better to pull in the clutch when going downhill, or would "popping" it back in be too much of a strain on the chain, clutch & motor? And then would it be to much strain on the motor doing that going down a hill and right back up another one. Or should I just not worry about it and keep doing what I have been, just laying off the throttle. What do you guys do going downhill?
I have the 48cc Grubee, installed on a mountain bike.
Thanks!
Joe

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Technically it's not good for a two stroke to do that for prolonged periods of time as it gets all it's lubrication from the fuel... and it's not getting any during engine compression braking. I do what you describe just to assist in hard stops - but other than that I'll pull in the clutch and that's not hurt anything so far (over 5000 miles).

Still - if you're not noticing any excessive heat build up, it's prolly fine to do w/e yer comfy with :)

AH64Apache

Jul 22, 2009
Mercer, WI
Thanks! I'll give it a shot. I was mostly worried about popping the chain. I broke a chain in 3 places a couple weeks ago, but I "think" that was due to being too tight.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
A quality chain (is in not the kit one lol) would most likely rip the motor mounts off before breaking heh, so that's a different problem yer having... the kit chains are really junk TBH

AH64Apache

Jul 22, 2009
Mercer, WI
it was the chain from the kit that broke,, so you're right,, I guess it was a POC. I replaced it with a decent quality chain from WallyMart. I did buy the heavy duty chain that Kings Motorbikes sells but it won't fit around the sproket located on the engine, but it fits fine on the rear wheel sproket.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
I would pull in the clutch and roll down the hill.
When you reach the bottom coast for a while til you start to slow down, release the clutch and hit the throttle.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
It's pretty easy to match the engine rpm to the bike speed after a while too. I pull the clutch when ever I am off the throttle, stopping, or down hill.

I always did it because I was afraid the tensioner was going to over load.

dag_29307

Jul 1, 2009
Enoree, Sc.
I agree with what has been already stated. When you are going downhill just let off the throttle and pull the clutch. Then just engage when going back up. That's how I ride mine and have been for two years now. I would advise you change the chain to a #41 roll chain though. That chain from wally mart isn't very much better than the kit chain. You can get #41 roll chain from any Tractor Supply, Ace Hardware, or pretty much any hardware store. You will probably get twice as much chain as wally mart for about the same price.

AH64Apache

Jul 22, 2009
Mercer, WI
Thanks very much guys!!! Dag, Thanks for the advice about the chain too. I'll head off to the "big city" on Saturday to Ace and pick one up.
Joe