stealth gas tank

GoldenMotor.com

Howitt

Jun 7, 2008
anyone know where to buy a rear mount gas tank or have any design ideas on how to make a stealth one that isnt noticable to passer-bys?

...ladies

Jan 27, 2009
Ohio
anyone know where to buy a rear mount gas tank or have any design ideas on how to make a stealth one that isnt noticable to passer-bys?
You could always mount in backwords on a bicycle rack then make some type of cooler or something to disguise it lol. I would put mine back there anyways but i need it to carry stuff on the longer trips..

mechanickid

Aug 7, 2008
nh
i've seen someone on here make a tank thats small and round like a can that goes in a tight fitting black bag and sits just under the back of the seat. looks like a tool bag or something. not very noticeable at all.

mechanickid

Aug 7, 2008
nh
nope. maybe get some type of tubing a run it under your top piece of frame frame? then wrap it with leather and paint it?

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
Just mount the tank on a rear rack as high under the seat as possible. (Above the carb!)
Get a zippered lunch cooler big enough to fit your stock tank and punch a hole for the fuel shutoff valve to poke out. Mount tank in the opposite direction you normally would. I used a chunk of wood to mount the tank to the rack . The wood was under the hump of the tank, inside the bag so you could not see it. This allowed me to use the original mounting hardware that came with the tank. The studs poked out of the bottom of the lunch bag.The fuel line will come out right under your seat on the left side, inches away from your carb.
Everyone always asked me where my gas tank was!

Attachments

...ladies

Jan 27, 2009
Ohio
Ha this has inspired me to do something like this also, but i am waiting for my new rack. Maybe have two gas tanks... :D

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Ha this has inspired me to do something like this also, but i am waiting for my new rack. Maybe have two gas tanks... :D
Hey, Ladies,
You could always have a jacket made from material that would hold gasoline. Just put the jacket on, fill it up and connect the fuel line... talk about stealth.

...ladies

Jan 27, 2009
Ohio
Hey, Ladies,
You could always have a jacket made from material that would hold gasoline. Just put the jacket on, fill it up and connect the fuel line... talk about stealth.
Haha my friends already think i smell like gas all the time, maybe a jacket with gas in it wouldn't be such a good idea ;) but... very stealth... I usually ride with a backpack.. maybe mount a tank in there?? and the ideas are flowing.. lol

europorsche914

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster, PA / Newark, DE
I use to have the china made rear rack gas tank. The only problem with it was the cap mounted flush with the top of the tank so under acceleration the gas sloshes to the back away from the fuel pet cock and then leaks through the cap. No matter what i couldnt get it to seal... Now the newer design from spooky tooth puts the cap at the front but it still mounts flush... & still leaks but under braking now, my friends got one. Since the fuel pet cock is at the front, when the tank is low on fuel it all sloshes to the back and the motor is starved for fuel. I ended up scrapping the entire kit except for the rack itself. I made a new gas tank out of 16 gauge sheet metal to mount under the rack out back. It is just a square box that holds 1.33 gallons. I used my old gas tanks short filler neck and made an extension out of pipe to bring the cap to about 3". I put a baffle inside to slow the fuel sloshing around (bigger than the one in the china made one...) and welded a bung on the front of the tank for the fuel petcock. I then welded a piece of pipe inside the tank to the bung and made it long enough to reach to the back of the tank. Basically when under accel all the gas will be pushed to the back and through the pipe and out the front of the tank. It works quite well and gets all but about a 1/2 cup of gas out of the tank. Obviously if you want it a little more stealth you could make my design smaller (closer to 1/2 gallon) and with a bag on top no one would see it ;) -Justin

Attachments

Last edited: