Well, Lookit This, Sprocket Disc Brake ass.

GoldenMotor.com

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
It would sure be nice to see more specs on that hub, like the HD band brake hub with sprocket which I am growing to despise a better brake replacement hub for a coaster brake bike.

I do have to question the accuracy of their E-bay info for most of their listings like their $119 '49 cc' that is called a 48 and 50cc as well as a 66 and 80cc elsewhere in the same ad.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/50cc-bicycl...=100010&prg=7845&rk=2&rkt=15&sd=261269807827&

Miracle 4-5 HP 49cc 2-stroke engines that can hit 40 MPH with the kit direct drive gears!

But back to the point of the disc brake & sprocket system, I would like to see some real info on how it works as I don't see anything attached to the frame like a brake stay arm in the 2 small lame pics to keep the thing from just widely spinning around in the dropouts on the axle when the brake is applied.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i was thinking about how to make one of those a while back and my roommate points at his friends harley and says " it's been done. it's a sproter. it's been around for years."
glad to see someone making it...

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
My question was what size sprocket is necessary?
Another member and I have experimented with a disc/sprocket combo. We could make it work but were limited to running a very small rear sprocket to achieve enough chain to caliper clearance. I don't run 28 or 32T sprockets and could find no way to get full pad contact running a 40T because of the interference between the chain and caliper. A larger diameter rotor would make it possible but I haven't found one yet bigger than 203mm that would work with bicycle calipers.

Like KC, I'd like to see more specs on this item; rotor/sprocket diameter and how the caliper attaches to the frame. The only photo shows what looks like custom fabricated dropouts and it also looks like it is a complete hub with axle. Single speed? Cassett adaptable?
The seller needs to attach some information, especially at that price.

Tom

Last edited:

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
I agree, they only show 2 pics, and both from
the same angle, single speed, multi speed pedal sprocket?

Why did they go with custom dropouts? Why didn't they show it hooked up to regular dropouts?
How much hub do we get, just the freewheel, or a hub too?

To much money and too many questions arise.

But I want one, patience, someone will sell one for much less soon.

here is another vendor that sells a different one.

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Like KC, I'd like to see more specs on this item; rotor/sprocket diameter and how the caliper attaches to the frame. The only photo shows what looks like custom fabricated dropouts and it also looks like it is a complete hub with axle.
Tom
How the caliper attaches to frame is exactly my point as from what I can see it attaches to just the hub.

I didn't see the modified drop-outs but if the bike has mounts an HD hub with 3 screw on hub fittings is nothing to mount a sprocket and disc opposed to say a band brake but you are still sitting with how to mount the caliper as something has to be fixed to bike, on a band brake it is a brake arm.

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
Looked at the Bicycle Designer YouTube video of the product: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFl5o6OyUTw

If you advance to 7:30, you will see the parts that they used for their kit.

Formula makes a 10" (255mm brake disc rotor). Santana Tandems installs them on their bikes: santanatandem.com/Library/SelfAdjusting.pdf‎

Their Harmony adapter looks like King's Sales & Service TopHat adapter. Their Secret Adapter looks like the brake disc adapter from Atomic Zombie with threads cut in the inside to adapt to a freewheel hub.

http://motorbicycling.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=62588&stc=1&d=1377625062

I have no problem with the prices. Add up the cost of the individual components, time, labor and design and they're not making a boat load of money. $288 per unit isn't too bad. My guess is that they had the harmony adapter and Secret Adapter custom machined.

The only issue I have is using a flip-flop hub which has a right hand thread on the rear hub. I would prefer a left hand thread. I wouldn't want the whole shebang coming apart during a high speed stop.

From reading on the Internet, you'd want to use a dry chain lube on your chain, so you don't contaminate the disc brakes.

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

Attachments

mrfubs

Jun 13, 2013
michigan
I did a front brake conversion to my cruiser bike for $201.31 and has more stopping power than a rear brake and i got front suspension in the process.

I bought a RST suspension fork with disc brake tabs with a 1" steerer tube, mtb disc brake front wheel, 203mm caliper bracket, 203mm rotor, Avid elixir 3 hydraulic front brake setup.

Last edited: