Crusing at 10 mph

GoldenMotor.com

TeddyB

Jan 19, 2008
alto michigan
I cant get my bike to go a smooth 10 mph with the clutch out, the kit was an 80 cc chinese from Kings I believe the sprokett is a 44 tooth,though I never counted the teeth. The bike starts bogging down and I have to clutch it and Im afraid im burning the clutch up. Most places im riding now are rv parks with a posted 10 mph. any ideas.

Ted

Can Harm Hen

Mar 1, 2008
Davis, California
I find that running mine at idle with a 50-tooth gets it going at more or less 10 mph.

Try reducing your idle. BTW, the idle screw seems does nothing until you get ~100 miles under the belt.

RedB66

Dec 28, 2007
Sunshine State
I run a 32 tooth sprocket and cruising at slow speeds is no problem. I can almost take of from a dead stop by easing the clutch out with no "Bucking". Of course the 32T doesn't like to climb hills but 42mph can be fun!! I run a 44T on my first bike and it doesn't like slow speeds at all (hence the term "Bucking").

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I cant get my bike to go a smooth 10 mph with the clutch out, the kit was an 80 cc chinese from Kings I believe the sprokett is a 44 tooth,though I never counted the teeth. The bike starts bogging down and I have to clutch it and Im afraid im burning the clutch up. Most places im riding now are rv parks with a posted 10 mph. any ideas.

Ted
I have a 48T AND a 50T sprocket in the "swap shop".

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I thought about this post today when i was moving around the shopping center at a crawl. I think the 20" rear wheel is great for this kind of thing, but you are not going to set any speed records...and it will look odd as heck

Last edited:

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
Joe the small sprockets are for speed. I have a Kings engine and I am not fond of the manufacturer he is using. The porting was the worst of any engine I have, and it was hard to get running well. I ported it and now it is fine. I have a trick for the carb if you think you are willing to drill a small hole in the thing. Let me know and I will tell you what to do. Those carbs are horrible, no idle circuit. Have fun Dave

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Dave, I am after a little more speed/lower rpm at cruise.

Yes, let me in on the secret....is it a way to put a mixture screw in these carbs?

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
OK it is easy. Turn the carb over with the float off, and near the end that goes to to the engine, drill a 0.040 hole from the float side into the intake runner. I have found that you don't need to do anything else. It then has a way to get some mix air for the idle. I also file a little dent in the slide over the hole, I don't know if this helps but it looks good. Let me know what you think. Have fun, Dave
PS: If it turns out like mine you are going to love the way it runs. Mine will run as slow a good Yamaha, no more balking. Good luck.
PS: One more thing I am running a 39 tooth sprocket and I think it gives the best of both worlds, lower RPM and still pulls well. With the porting and the carb it will still pull off a stop without pedals.

Attachments

Last edited: