Side pull calliper brakes?

GoldenMotor.com

gobigkahuna

Apr 25, 2011
E NC
While reading some of the build threads here, I noticed that when a bike only has a coaster break, it's usually recommended that they retrofit a center pull v-brake (which because most cruisers don't have the proper threaded posts, a special plate has to be added). I remember back when I was younger that most of my bikes had side pull calliper brakes, and when I did a quick search I found side pull calliper brake kits for sale. As I recall, to mount them all you need is a hole on the frames centerline above the wheel which most cruisers already have for mounting fenders. Why not use these instead?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
As long as the mechanical parts line up, there is no reason you can't use the hole in the bottom of the fork to mount the brakes.

I realize that mounting disc brakes can involve some custom work/welding but if you have the tools and skill, disc brakes are far superior to the rim type friction brakes. Whichever you decide on, the addition of a brake on the front wheel is highly suggested.
Tom

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
V Brakes and cantilever brakes just offer better stopping power getting a mechanical advantage with the different pivot point.

Bicycle Brake Basics

I use the side pull caliper when ever I have to retro fit because like you pointed out they are way easier to install. I may have to squeeze a bit harder to stop but I am a big guy and can handle it.

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
If all you can do is use the caliper brakes use them. A caliper brake on your front wheel will give you a whole lot more stopping power than a coaster brake alone. I do not know about the current crop of cruisers but a lot of older frames also had a mount for them on the rear also. if yours doesn't it is a simple matter to weld or braze one on. This page has one, called a brake bridge. Braze ons

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
I agree. Anything for a front brake is a plus and a must !! Being able to stop on a dime is the ideal, but if you can only stop on a dollar bill, take it !!

gobigkahuna

Apr 25, 2011
E NC
Thanks. My next question is, where can I buy them? I've been searching, and so far what I've found are mostly to replace the brakes on skinny tire road bikes. What I'll be looking for are brakes for 26" x 2.125" tired wheels.

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA
I ordered the side pull brake kit from Pirates. Calipers didn't reach the rim on my Cranny. I ovaled out the hole in the fork, elongated the adjustment area on the brakes caliper slots and made sure the wheel was as far up in the dropouts as possible to no avail. Still grabbed my tire. Not good. Moved it to the back and flipped it under the existing fender mount cross bar. It's better than just the coaster brake...

gobigkahuna

Apr 25, 2011
E NC
I forgot all about this thread... I bought the side caliper brakes recommended earlier in this thread and they worked perfectly on my Genisis Onyx 29er. :)