Spring Cleaning = Free Bikes

GoldenMotor.com

FlyGuy

Apr 1, 2011
Corry, PA
Wow today is my lucky day.
I been itchin to build a MB but havent had a spare one to work on.

It's sprig cleaning time in my city and right next door my neighbor was throwing out a complete bike. Not a single piece was missing and it looks to be hardly ridden.

It's a NEXT Avalon True Comfort full suspension.
I think there may be just enough room to squeeze an engine in it.

Anyone out there ever tried motorizing this bike?

I will be really happy if i can fit a engine in it.

Now i got to go drive around and see if there are anymore out for the trash..shft.

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
I think with a spring tensioner on the chain it would be an excellent bike, The rear pivot point looks like you can get the motor really close to the same plane. Set it up with the spring as cranked up as much as possible or if that don't work as slack as possible ;) Experiment around.

The frame is like my Mongoose Paver, kinda contorted. Big mounts and off-set the carb. The motor will set high in the frame. I had to leave off the rear cast mount and made one up from Permatex Epoxy Putty and a plastic baggie. Cleaned the motor and stuck a gob of putty where the frame and engine met, the plastic bag kept the putty from sticking to the frame. The rear motor mount is at a bad angle to meet the seat post tube. After sanding off the finish on the post a wedge of epoxy putty was placed on the post and formed to change the angle the seat clamp has to fit on using a plastic bag to prevent sticking to the bolts or clamp.

That's a real nice bike for free...I just don't understand people anymore :p

city of angels

May 24, 2009
tucson az
we have motorized one before but we came to a conclusion to the suspension on the rear it will work beter with a jackshaft kit also u are going to have to customized an intake for the carbutator to to clearance issues

FlyGuy

Apr 1, 2011
Corry, PA
Fortunatly i can do some machine work and hopefully modify the mounts on the case to fit better. It definatly looks tight. Good thing is i have a bunch of Stainless Steel Tubing like 0.625 od and the maintnence guy has a 40 ton tube bender. I think I'll remake the rear frame out of it so itll be stronger. Since that section is bolted on it'll be wayy easier. The main section of the frame seems pretty tough since the downtube is so thick and tall. Are there any chopper style front suspension forks i could adapt. It would be super cool to sorta chopper style this thing. I wonder how much wider moped wheels are. If i could use a nice set of moped mags that would be sweet. Just thinking ahead for strength and durability.

Did you get any flex from the motor torque on the rear end?
Hopefully it dosen't twist side to side at all.

joabthebugman

Jun 21, 2010
ocoee fla
I bought one for $25 off Craig's List intending to motorize it

The engine fit but had to be tilted forward, a slant head may make it easier.
I bought the offset intake for it and everything sat in there pretty good

Then I decided to take the bike a part and make a truck bike out of an old tandem frame I have

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
It's practically the same frame as a Kent Glendale. That bike has been motorized by a fellow on this forum. You may want to look up that thread and see what all he had to do. I think moving or rearranging the carb was part of it. It's a tight fit.

FlyGuy

Apr 1, 2011
Corry, PA
I think tommorow i willstrip it dow to the frame and the swingarm. Then the pieces will be small enough for me to take to work and put on the CMM ( coordinate measuring machine ).

Then i can get all the measurements off the frame and create a 3D Cad Model of the Frame. That way i can fit the engine in there and see what adjustments to make for everything to sit right.

I know this sounds overkill. But hey i'm bored and have access to the tools on my own time so why not.

I prefer to build it up in the cad software first. I got to decide on what Rake to use for the front forks. In Fact by the time i'm done i'll have the whole project in cad.

So what do you guys think about choppin it.
I like the curvy frame and the seat sits back and low. So if i put moped wheels on there and some sorta motorcycle seat that would be cool.

nextpimp

Mar 28, 2011
NY
Been done before... actually was the first bike i considered motorizing. Search for "kent glendale" or "teh next avalon build from *h3ll*" to see what your in for. GL

unsure about the h3ll ... but I remember the thread

FlyGuy

Apr 1, 2011
Corry, PA
I am glad to see a few people have done this successfully.

At least i know theres enough room in the frame.
Before i put an engine on it i;m going to modify things a bit.

Mostly the main front frame not including the forks is what i plan to use of the bike.
I think i'm gonna re-make the Swing Srm or ( rear frame ) out of stainless steel tubing.
It'l be stronger and easier for me to adapt a jackshaft to it. I can use scrap stainless steel tubing that gets thrown out at work. Most of the guys use the tube for tomato plant stakes. If i can find some good smaller shocks i'd like to replace that rear spring with a good shock on each side. Did i mention putting a Variator on the Jackshaft ? This thing is gonna be off the hook.