Sup

GoldenMotor.com

devares28

Mar 5, 2011
houston
um been having the kit since 08 but no time to really mess with so i just spent the last two days doing the bike cutting welding and almost had the had engine going but before a full rev of the engine the chain popped off. So um new here and will be for a while I guess so send me a line.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to the forum.
It sounds like you're having the most common problem of chain alignment/tension.
If you're using the kit supplied chain tensioner the bracket probably needs to be bent/twisted so the tensioner wheel aligns with the chain and the bracket needs to be secured to the chain stay so it can not move and let the tensioner get into the spokes.

You'll want 1/2 to 3/4" slack in the chain measured on the top run with the bike being pushed forward.
Use the search feature at the top of the page, type in 'chain tensioner' for hours of reading on this subject.
Good luck. We're here if you need more help.
Tom

devares28

Mar 5, 2011
houston
ive got my sproket facing the hub you know the side that has a ring then the spokes outside could that be a problem as the new tensioner is welded to the frame and it still pops off.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Not quite sure what you mean here.
The sprocket assembly from outside in is this: Sprocket, rubber, spokes, rubber, metal plates, all held together by the nine bolts. The sprocket MUST be centered on the rear hub. It should not have any up-down or side to side wobble. It must spin true. With the wheel mounted in the bike, no chain, spin the wheel and look for any wobbling.
The engine driven sprocket should spin as true as the pedal side sprocket/cassette/freewheel. If it doesn't, the chain will not track and come off.
Sight down the chain path from the rear looking forward to the engine. Is it straight? It should be.
Tom

devares28

Mar 5, 2011
houston
I know what i did now i did not have the extra thick spacer on the outiside of the sprocket i only had one on. second the carb was leaking because i just got the throttle working instead of hooking it to the circle flange thing inside the carb one run to home depot should fix the alignment and carb problem. as the sprocket looks straight till you look at it tilted slighted to the way the chain pops of as there is extra spacea and not aligned true!