Hi, from Lexington Kentucky

GoldenMotor.com

Crage

Nov 16, 2010
Lexington, KY
Hello, my name is Justin. I recently got the urge to build a motorized bike when I saw someone riding down the road on one. I did a little research, probably not enough, and then purchased an engine from berry bikes. I purchased the 66/80cc kit.

Shortly after a friend gave me a Columbia Tourist 3-speed in fairly good condition. The tires are in rough condition but they still hold air and the wheels are straight. There is some rust on the chrome and frame. The chrome is cleaning up pretty well with copper wool. If the build goes well I will tear it back down and have the frame repainted. I want to make sure I can get this thing up and running first.

I got the motor mounted tonight and shortly ran into my first bump in the road. As I said before this bike is a 3-speed, and the rear sprocket that came with the kit (clamp type) does not fit around the larger 3-speed hub. I was thinking of trying to find an entirely different rear wheel that has a smaller hub, single speed. I really dont care if the bike is 3-speed or not. Any suggested wheels I could replace it with? Does anyone have any suggestions to over come this obstacle?

Also I dont like the twist handle throttle that came with this kit. I'm going to have to cut the handle bar to get it to fit right and I dont like that at all. If all works well, I want this bike to look good. I really like the white grips that came with the bike as well. Are there other types of throttle set-ups out there and can I get them to work with this engine? I was thinking of a thumb throttle set up like a lot of atvs have.

Any suggestions or tips would be great.

Crage

Nov 16, 2010
Lexington, KY
Ok, so I just read a bunch of posts about thumb throttles. Disregard that part of my post. I just purchased this one: Thumb throttle for gas scooters.

Hopefull it works well for me and I wont have to compremise my nice chrome handle bars and white grips.

I'll post pics of the bike and my progress tomorrow.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Justin,
Welcome to the forum. I hope we can answer any question you have.
I have some fond, yet childish memories of Lexington. My dad was a race horse trainer and as I child I spent some time there but my memories are those of a 7 year old. I do recall those green rolling hills and white fences of the race horse farms. Hope it hasn't changed much.
Tom

Crage

Nov 16, 2010
Lexington, KY
Justin,
Welcome to the forum. I hope we can answer any question you have.
I have some fond, yet childish memories of Lexington. My dad was a race horse trainer and as I child I spent some time there but my memories are those of a 7 year old. I do recall those green rolling hills and white fences of the race horse farms. Hope it hasn't changed much.
Tom
It's still just how you remember. Lexington just hosted the World Equestrian games in October. It was quite an event for the city.

red baron

Dec 3, 2010
California
Kentucky?? you mean people actually live there? Just kidding of course,but I am a newbee myself and have re-started my interest in Motorbikes and plan to make one of my own.