Cruiser and coaster brake question

GoldenMotor.com

sofasurferlinux

Jun 24, 2009
Davison, Mi
First of all, what exactly is a "cruiser" bicycle?
Second...Walmart has some nice classic looking bikes for under $100. Balloon tires, rack on back and coaster brakes. Are coaster brakes a problem for bike motors? Do ballon tires do much to eliminate rough ride on gravel roads?
I currently am using a mountian bike. It rides like a truck and vibrates like heck and bumps...well forget it. Anyway, I have determined that most of my comfort problems are because the bike is just to small and does not have allowance for adjustment. So I am in the market for something cool, comfortable and under $100.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
First of all, what exactly is a "cruiser" bicycle?
Second...Walmart has some nice classic looking bikes for under $100. Balloon tires, rack on back and coaster brakes. Are coaster brakes a problem for bike motors? Do ballon tires do much to eliminate rough ride on gravel roads?
I currently am using a mountian bike. It rides like a truck and vibrates like heck and bumps...well forget it. Anyway, I have determined that most of my comfort problems are because the bike is just to small and does not have allowance for adjustment. So I am in the market for something cool, comfortable and under $100.
What is a cruiser bicycle? - Cruiser bicycle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Are coaster brake a problem? - I have ridden for years and thousands of miles with only rear coaster brake. But I do recommend adding a front brake. Some have had problems, I have only had the coaster brake fail on my once but that was going down a step mountain and I got them too hot.

Do Ballon tires eliminate rough ride? - I do notice a difference

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
Does the coaster brake add a problem to installing the sprocket?
..Not if you use one of Jim's ( manic mechanic....creative engineers ) sprocket and adapter.....his site is located to the left here on the forum....I use all his parts....you simply can't go wrong.....

Salty.shft.

karryhunt

Apr 17, 2010
South Florida...brrr
Does the coaster brake add a problem to installing the sprocket?
Yes they do! You need to check to make sure the dust cover fits inside the sprocket instead of just laying on top of it. Otherwise the bearings will continue to loosen as you ride. I just went thru this and corrected it by grinding out the center of the sprocket with a carbide cutter on my air powered die grinder.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
..Not if you use one of Jim's ( manic mechanic....creative engineers ) sprocket and adapter.....his site is located to the left here on the forum....I use all his parts....you simply can't go wrong.....

Salty.shft.

Just be aware that you may have a long wait for that part....

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
I have a scwhinn delmar cruiser and it had coaster brakes but 1 month into my ride , one day i was giving it some throttle and heard a thump and something in my coaster brake broke. The brakes still worked but i would here awful noises after that so i put a regualar mountain bike freewheel on the back instead and put on side pull caliper brakes on the front where the front fender mounts to. Alot quieter and stops on a dime. As far as the dust cover i tossed that and just put the sprocket on,well now i dont have to worry about a dust cover. Speaking of side pull caliper brakes i just bought a new one for $10 comes with caliper brakes,a lever and brake cable and fits on front or back of bike. Im waiting for it to arrive on tuesday,cost me $11 for fedex 2 day service but i didnt like waiting.

I also relized that many people also have had good experinces with coaster brakes,they stop my bike great but needed too many adjustments.

Attachments

Last edited:

Alson

May 16, 2010
Kankakee Illinois
My friend is having back besring problem with the back coaster brake it gets real hot and squeks now this is his second time, he bent the axiel first fixed it had bearings packed two weeks latter squeaking

Alson

May 16, 2010
Kankakee Illinois
My friend is having back besring problem with the back coaster brake it gets real hot and squeks now this is his second time, he bent the axiel first fixed it had bearings packed two weeks latter squeaking bearings again, hes kinda heavy.trlrl.

muldrick

Apr 14, 2010
Eastern Shore
Speaking of side pull caliper brakes i just bought a new one for $10 comes with caliper brakes,a lever and brake cable and fits on front or back of bike. .
Where did you get that kit?
I have a Huffy Cranbrook and want to install a front brake. I understand there may be a problem doing that with the alluminum wheel?

Last edited: