Why did you put a motor on your bike?

GoldenMotor.com

Why did you put a motor on your bike

• Economics (gas prices)

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • To see if you could do it (Project)

Votes: 17 43.6%
  • To be Green or semi-Green (Environmental / better MPG)

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • Lost license and need transportation - doh!

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Other

Votes: 18 46.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Maxvision

Jun 13, 2009
San Diego, CA
Because it was there. Bought a bike and motor kit from a guy that said it "couldn't be done" on that frame. "It couldn't be done" was all the challenge I needed to start this wonderful addiction.

spit_fire

Aug 28, 2009
Brampton
at first it was to get around as i still have my liscence but i am uninsurable being young with a bad driving record and then i cought the bug and now i love these stinkin things :D

omegaunderground

Sep 16, 2009
modesto
For me it was because I wanted a motorcycle, but my wife's dad ruined his knee's riding a motorcycle (actually a Dirtbike). So she was really against me getting a motorcycle, heck even a moped... but she didn't mind me building a motorbike haha! Honestly I think a moped would be the safest of the 3 but my motorbike is the most fun to me : )

Shadeslay

Feb 25, 2009
Arroyo Grande, Ca
I did mine because it's only 2-3 miles to the beach. But it's all up hill on the way back from surfing and I'm drained by then, so I wanted something to assist on the way back.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
So I wouldn't have to pedal...:)

Actually, I've always wanted to motorize a bicycle. I got a mini bike when I was nine and moved on to motorcycles and cars from there and never realized the dream of putting a motor on a bike. When I discovered the Chinese 2 stroke kits, then rode one, I was hooked. Much to my wife's chagrin. "Honey, we're gonna need a bigger garage." Also I needed a cheaper hobby than hot rods and airplanes.
Tom

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
because i'm sick of messing with cars, because almost everything i need is within a 5 mile radius, because i've always wanted one, but didn't know they made something besides a chicken motor until 6 months ago, because i love making stuff that no one else has, or if they have one, i like making mine better than theirs, and because i like the feeling of impending death when i'm riding in traffic on a 70 year old bicycle at 45mph...

oh, and because i'm unemployed, and would be sitting at the bar all day if i didn't have a "hobby."

bluenosegoat

Dec 29, 2009
arizona
I was looking for a new hobby and this is far less expensive than rock crawlers (I just got 72 Toyota Fj40 though) and one thing that i was really hoping for was that my son would take an interest in something besides video games!!! I'm so glad to have found something that we share a strong common interest in! He now wakes me up on the weekends " So we're going riding today right? Gotta check out the new fuel mix and set my carb up!" I couldnt be happier to see his new found interest and finally learning what tools can do for you if you know how to use them!

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Because it's so cheap, and since I was a bicycle mechanic in days of old, I knew I could.

I was also having all sorts of mean and nasty "Real ID" problems with the "security" measures that those people who always hate big intrusive government had adopted, and I had to even drive around for several months on a D.L. I couldn't get renewed while having to take the time and pay the expense of getting another official name change in court on my birth certificate, despite having used another name for 25 years.

But you can feel more nationally secure tonight that your friendly neighborhood transgen woman is NOT a foreign terrorist.

Engler

Nov 27, 2009
Florida
Mainly cuz I wanted MB as a kid, never happened, so now at a ripe age I am getting all the toys I always wanted but was denied as a kid or I could not afford them.

MB is one of those toys.

Sydneysider

Mar 20, 2009
Sydney
coz I lost my license 3 years ago, got it back 2 years ago and I still put more mileage on this new kewl thing that Ive found, theyre better than cars in many ways :)