high pitch pinging noise

GoldenMotor.com

toker_ace

Oct 15, 2008
alabama
i've got this very high pitch tapping noise coming out my engine.it gets a little quieter after it warms up some. the noise stops when i'm going up an incline. like when the motor is under pull or tourqe. i hope its not something worn because this motor only has about 100 miles on it. its really loud. it actually hurts my ears. its like something is tapping inside.more of a tapping than a raddle.

toker_ace

Oct 15, 2008
alabama
hey joe. its coming from somewhere behind the clutch cover. If i put my hand over the cover it muffle's the sound some. I think I might put a little grease on those gears.

marioaz

Dec 15, 2008
Prescott, Arizona
That may be one source of mechanical noise. With the engine not running and cold, bang on the muffler with the heel of your hand. I discovered the innards of my muffler rattling. It created a high pitch rattling/pinging that you describe, changed with rpm's, and I thought the engine was coming apart.

Last edited:

toker_ace

Oct 15, 2008
alabama
thanks. i have a custom muffler, with no innards. its something behind the clutch cover. when i'm under tourque there's no rattling. when i'm at idle and just running its rattle tack tack!