GoldenMotor.com

drob

May 1, 2009
Kansas City, Missouri
Hello Everyone!
I live in Kansas City and am in the process of building my first bike. The first bike was a road bike and my attempt was a disaster! The sprocket did not clear the frame so of course I had to find another bike but I had already purchased a 4 stroke kit on ebay with a three piece crank/sprocket/pedal assembly and the new bike, Schwinn Jaguar, is a 1 piece crank assembly! Do any of you know how I can take care of this problem? I've looked at most Bike Engine conversion sites and checked their parts section and no one has replacement 1 piece crank/ sprocket/assemblies.

Hope someone can help, Thanks!

Duane

drob

May 1, 2009
Kansas City, Missouri
Thanks, I've been reading a lot of the posts here and have to say they have been a lot of help but the only way you really learn at something like this is to get your hands dirty!

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
buy a 3 to 1 piece crank converter $18,it will make your 3-piece fit the 1piece hole.

i used short crank peddals from a exercise bike and paid $3

Last edited:

drob

May 1, 2009
Kansas City, Missouri
it just slides out as you turn it a little.
Thanks Cabinfever, although someone else asked about straightening the crank in order to remove it. I have done quite a bit of checking today and I need to a lot more than just replace the crank with an axle. It seems that one piece cranks in the cruiser bikes have different size housing. So, the long and short of it is that I have to install a conversion in the housing to reduce the size and then install the new axle, etc. The conversion kit is around 35$, which is o.k. because this is my first build and I am learning a bunch of lessons!

Thanks again
Duane

drob

May 1, 2009
Kansas City, Missouri
here one is for $15 , but not sure if its the right one

Pyramid 3 pc, Bottom Bracket Conversion Kit | BikepartsUSA
Thanks Cabinfever, it looks like it might fit although from what I found out yesterday, I'll need to call them before I order because there are several different considerations such as axle length, thread size, size of square ends for pedals, etc. Unless the bike dealer was blowing smoke up my butt of course! Anyway,thanks for the link to the Bike Parts site! I'll use it for sure!

drob