Long, cold, ride coming up.

GoldenMotor.com
Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
Hello again everyone! Hit some hard times the past few months, but things are looking up again. Bent a rim, then an axle, got cut off and nearly killed, and a number of other things.
Now, Tanglebones and I are preparing for our longest trip yet, from my ranch east of snowflake, down the rim to Mesa, Tempe, Phoenix and Glendale. The distance is around 200 miles, and I leave on the first of February. I'll likely catch a cold, be miserable, and have an excellent adventure. I plan to visit some family, maybe look up my estranged wife... But back to the ride...

If anyone cares to look at a map, I'll be following Hwy 277 to Hwy 260 in Heber, then to SR87 in Payson, then to Fort McDowell and into the Phoenix metropolitan area.
I recently recived a 56t sprocket from Dax, and due to a minor oversight on my part, I need a chain, as I shortened mine when I built the bike. The same five inches or so I took off, is exactly how much I need. I have no idea what my real world speeds will be, although thanks to members here, I've a pretty good idea.
I figure to start early on the first, ride down to Fort McDowell and pitch a camp. I've no intention of fighting that traffic in the dark, and the trip across the cities will take hours.
Anyone care to join me, either on the way down, or across town once I get there? It takes a bit of bravery to cross the rim in February, on a motorbike.

Hope you all had very happy holidays, and a happy new year's.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Monster,
Best of luck on your adventure. All we ask is that you ride safe, have fun and report back when you complete this ride. 200 miles should be completely possible on a good reliable bike. We're pullin' for you. Keep us posted.

Tom

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
All the best with your estranged wife. If the passion is still there I hope it works out. I called mine a couple of years ago and she said the only thing she missed was an AK47 and a clear shot.

All the best on your trip and keep all of us updated.

Steve.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
BE SAFE , man that is quit a trip. Good luck, got to look at the map was through Payson a few years back nice town. Had my motor home worked on there while on the way west.............Curt

Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
Yep, it'll be a long ride for sure. I checked the mileage on Google, one way is about 209 miles one way, and I'll be hauling a trailer. I'll be all kitted out in my safety vest, with three flashers mounted to the back of my trailer, also I'll be making a point to ride in the daylight.

I plan to make the long run down in one day, set camp outside Fort McDowell, then ride through the next day. Phoenix traffic sucks, I think they aim rather than drive.

Thanks fasteddie, my beloved and I haven't been apart for long, and we are still good friends. She said she was having an identity crisis, which is something I can't understand, as I've always loved who I am. The problems really stem from money, I think, my lack of concern for it, and her materialisim. In truth, I'm making the trip for her. She's hit some hard times and the first person she calls is me of course.

Curt, Payson is indeed beautiful, as are Pine and Strawberry, just too many people for my taste. Where did you have your RV worked on? I may be related to the tech lol, I've got a pile of kinfolks there.

All in all, I'm really looking forward to the trip. I figure it'll cost me about $12 in fuel, my cheapest trip down the mountain with my own vehicle, ever. Something like four hundred miles had ought to be an adventure. Because I'll either pitch a tent or stay with friends and family, I figure the trip will cost about $40 or less, which is less than what my last truck needed for fuel, one way. **** of a cheap way to travel, I just hope the bike holds together, I wish I could have made this trip sooner, when the weather was better, and the bike had less mileage on it.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Not sure something about save your life something. Was kool kind of down hill drive way to the shop parked outside and they fixed it right away. only had to wait about a hour till they could get to it, i was so grateful to be on the road so soon. ...........Curt

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Sounds like a great trip. Are you going to ride your motorbike back up the rim? Hope not. When I lived in the Phoenix area, my longest ride was a 50 mile round trip commute. It was much warmer than Overgaard in the winter. You are far tougher than me.

Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
Yep, I'll be riding the bike back up, hopefully. That's why I picked up the 56t sprocket. Between now and then I need to pick up a longer chain. I'll be wearing plenty of winter gear, so I should stay warm, if not I'll pull over and light a little fire. I don't foresee it being to miserably cold in that concrete jungle, in fact it'll likely be perfect temps for me, providing they don't get too much rain, which would cool me down considerable.