New motor new bike

GoldenMotor.com

schwinncruiser

Nov 14, 2008
Louisiana
Hi, my name's Tyler, and I'm new to the forum here. I just purchased a new motor kit from dax and I am attempting to install it on my Schwinn Point Beach Cruiser.

I'm really excited about the prospect of this project, because I use my bike to commute back and forth to my campus from my house. And I'm becoming addicted to riding two wheels.

The first major problem I've run into with the installation process has been how to mount the thing on my frame.

Both my seat pipe and down pipe are over sized and because the down pipe has a curve to it I'm not sure how to mount the engine. The slight curve in the down pipe makes create a larger space in the v-frame, so the engine has to span further. It seems the logical solution would be to drop the engine down a bit and mount it, but I can't do that because the pedal sprocket and covering are in the way.

Any ideas of what would fix this problem would be greatly appreciated.

TexasDav

Aug 19, 2008
Houston
Hi and welcome to the forum. There are a lot of point beach builds here. I Got one for my son that another member built. You will need to shim the rear sprocket out to clear the rear tire. I used 5 washers per bolt behind the sprocket. The engine can be mounted lower if you do away with the front derailer. I mounted my motor much lower then my son's "i bike" Good luck and there is lots of help here if you get stuck.

Attachments

schwinncruiser

Nov 14, 2008
Louisiana
Thanks everyone. I'm going to keep working on the bike and try a few of the solutions advised here. I talked about the bike with one of my friends' dads and I think he will be able to help me out. He works on motorcycles and we're going to mount the engine together, so hopefully we'll find a snug fit in our trials.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Hi Schwinncruiser, welcome.

To mount the engine on my point beach, I removed the peddle chain guard and used a mallet to thin (read beat into submission) the down tube. The seat post just barely fit and snugged down nicely when tightened. The material used to make these engines files very well. The other night I was thinking on my next build to custom fit the mounts. There are better methods then "Mallet Engineering" and removing the guard, Just how I did it. Had no issues with the engine drive sprocket clearing the tire.

Very important, the front fender mount needs to be shored up or completely remove your fender. The lil "L" bracket holding the fender fails rather quickly and makes for a very dangerous situation.