6 Volt generator ?

GoldenMotor.com

Rusty1

Jun 12, 2012
U.S.A.
I live in Michigan and basically have to jump thru hoops to put my build on the road . The 6 volt mag that came stock on my motor will not support any sort of lighting system that I'm required by law to have . Has anyone had any experience with the 6 volt generator I've seen on ebay and a few other sites . If so , is it worth investing in ? The system I am running now runs off a 6 volt lantern battery and gets rather expensive . I'm open to any other suggestions.

I'm running a 66/80 starfire

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I bought a used generator bottle last fall on ebay, to use with one of the 6v LED plastic headlights I got from Boygofast- and I already had another tailight- it works well, but I never ride at night and I took it back off for now-

I also picked up another NOS whole generator system for a beater pedal bike- I think I got it shipped all for 10 or 12 dollars- They used to be expensive on ebay, but the prices have come down with all the new LED gadgets out there- and new generator sets can be had for $20 if you loook

Some people say the bike is too fast- I dunno- didn't use it much, but maybe try to get a newer, lighter one- the newer bottles are miniscule- and supplement it with LEDs- otherwise

search "bicycle lights" on ebay and sort the list by shipping/ lowest price first- I've got blinkys for a dollar and a half and various kinds of LED headlamps- mostly to be seen- for just a couple dollars- only have to wait 3 weeks to come from China-

search "generator" too- it's pot luck- might be high prices in mid-summer. Dunno.

Got this platic LED white blinky this spring- it just clamps around the bars in 2 secs- very cheap. Carry it in your pocket.

Last edited:

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
3-5 watts is in the same range as a bottle gen. If your state requires something a long the lines of DOT lighting you could need as hight as 55watts in high beam alone. The coil in my Lifan engine supplies enought wattage to run a 55 watt H/L and a tail and brake light. If thats what is required probably a total loss battery system would be the easiest, at least it might get you certified.

pbeggs

May 6, 2012
maine
ive got one,.. it will power a standard 6v bike headlight,.. i have the electronics package that charges the battery and recommend the led headlight from the same vendor (my calculations indicate you could run 3-4 of them on one generator )

Rusty1

Jun 12, 2012
U.S.A.
Thanks people . This place has been super when it comes to a noob needing information . YOU GUY'S ROCK !