New Guy Here

GoldenMotor.com

Donzi

Feb 15, 2012
N.Virginia
Hi, all. I'm Donzi & I don't really know squat re bike motors, altho in the (very)distant past I owned & rode one in Japan, back in the mid-late 50s. So, now I'm old, retired & all... but I'd still like to put one together & ride again. If you've got any tips, ideas, warnings, etc, email me @ [email protected]. BTW, I live in N. VA(USA).
Donzi

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Welcome aboard, Donzi !

There is no better source of information about motor assisted bicycles, on the planet, than here !
And a very helpful group of people !!!

I'd suggest you read a few threads that might catch your eye, and that will probably lead to searching through other topics.

The inexpensive MAB kits are the most fun you can spend your personal transport dollar on! They are very economical to operate, and are quite easy to work on with basic tools. The downside is that they WILL require attention! lol
That's part of the fun value, though.

Best to purchase a kit from one of the vendors who advertise here, as they do strive to deliver a better product, and are generally available when a discrepancy occurs.

Alf has put together a couple pages relating to preliminary inspection of a kit, before assembly of a MAB. It's real important.

My best tidbit of advice might be that riding a MAB is somewhat similar to riding a bicycle downhill... all the time!
Brakes are very important.
I do not feel coaster brakes are acceptable, and a MAB, for use in traffic, should have both front, and rear brakes.

Good luck
rc

robbomberbomyea

Dec 10, 2011
toledo oh
welcome,im no expert but have had no trouble with my bgf motor kit from ebay but having said that,i am very pleased with the pk80 siver motor i bought from pirate cycles and the sproket adapter from pirate cycles made hooking the chain up a breeze and well worth the money. any way welcome aboard,this site is by far the best place for good advice.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome Donzi.

We're glad you've joined this quirky community of gear heads and geeks. As Rusty suggested, take your time, use the Google Custom Search and read what seems interesting to you. When the time comes for you to begin a project you'll find all the help and advice here that anyone could want.
Have fun, ride safe.
Tom