Hello from Korea

GoldenMotor.com

Horacio

Jun 3, 2011
Korea
Hello, I finished my MB a few weeks ago and been running around with lots of problems; however a lot of them have been resolved thanks to you guys.
I'm originally from California, but in Korea on military orders. Since I am not allowed to own a car over here a MB has been great. But my biggest issue is there are no hardware stores in Korea, so I have to order everything online, and kingsmotorbikes lags it with APO shipping (1 month 4 days for my engine to arrive, and it’s been 4 weeks for a universal adapter that still has not yet made it. Anyone know which websites take pride in their shipping? I know I can order anything off Amazon and it will be here in under a week, as well as having my family send me goodies through USPS takes less than a week.

Well thanks again for all your advice throughout the forums, even though I don't understand a lot of parts because I am completely new to the MB.
.flg.

inked1974

Apr 11, 2011
Palo, Iowa
welcome! thank you for serving our country! if I can assist in getting you hardware in any way. feel free to send me a message. I will do all that I can.

ToxicAz520

Mar 11, 2011
Tucson,Arizona
Welcometo the forum and thank you for serving our country as well. I not to sure about vendors with good overseas shipping here but there has to be at least one out there. How is it riding around in Korea? Have you seen any other Mb's or just mopeds and scooters?

Horacio

Jun 3, 2011
Korea
Welcometo the forum and thank you for serving our country as well. I not to sure about vendors with good overseas shipping here but there has to be at least one out there. How is it riding around in Korea? Have you seen any other Mb's or just mopeds and scooters?
No other MBs what-so-ever, lots of scooters though, lots of dirt bikes. Still makes heads turn, very hilly here, have to say more and steeper hills than San Francisco. If it wasn't for the hills I wouldn't have purchased my engine. It is very dangerous to have a MB in Korea, I say this without being racist, over here no one cares about traffic signals, or right of way. People will just drive like their are no laws. I have had taxis run red lights multiple times, and drive on the opposite side of the road, twice. On a green light I don't just go, i have to treat it like a yield sign. I just use my MB to and from work, I can't wait till I am back in the states to take it for some cruising.

Drewd

Jul 25, 2008
Colorado
Be careful riding your bike on the sidewalk, you don't want to get run over by a car.....no joke, S. Koreans will drive on a sidewalk if it allows them to bypass traffic which is the worst I have ever experienced in my life.

The rules of the road in S. Korea are interesting-the largest vehicle always the right of way.

Where are you located? I know that Itaewon in Seoul is fairly hilly...just next to Yongson dong.

Let me know what you need in the future and I'll glady hook you up so you aren't without a ride.

Last edited:

Horacio

Jun 3, 2011
Korea
I live 4 blocks away from Itaewon Right outside Gate 52, didn't know anyone else lived in the area, or did you already move?

Drewd

Jul 25, 2008
Colorado
Horacio,
Sorry, but that was 11 years ago when I was stationed there. I'd like to go back one day. I loved the food and had a great time. I am surprised that I guessed correctly. Where is GATE 52, its been a long while. I used to live in housing next to the hospital on Yongsan

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
No other MBs what-so-ever, lots of scooters though, lots of dirt bikes. Still makes heads turn, very hilly here, have to say more and steeper hills than San Francisco. If it wasn't for the hills I wouldn't have purchased my engine. It is very dangerous to have a MB in Korea, I say this without being racist, over here no one cares about traffic signals, or right of way. People will just drive like their are no laws. I have had taxis run red lights multiple times, and drive on the opposite side of the road, twice. On a green light I don't just go, i have to treat it like a yield sign. I just use my MB to and from work, I can't wait till I am back in the states to take it for some cruising.
Kind of reminds me of driving in Saigon in 1967...I know what you mean.
YouTube - ‪Driving in Saigon‬‏

Be glad to help any member, but especially a brother serving, just ask. Now it is my turn to sleep while you are watching over me..Thanks

PM me your mailing address...I want to send you something.
Homemade Mods pictures by Ron-Becker - Photobucket

Here are some mounts/mods I made.
http://s982.photobucket.com/albums/ae309/Ron-Becker/Engine Mounting/

Here is some other photos that might be helpful.
http://s982.photobucket.com/albums/ae309/Ron-Becker/

Last edited:

Horacio

Jun 3, 2011
Korea
Horacio,
Sorry, but that was 11 years ago when I was stationed there. I'd like to go back one day. I loved the food and had a great time. I am surprised that I guessed correctly. Where is GATE 52, its been a long while. I used to live in housing next to the hospital on Yongsan
From what I've heard, it is a lot nicer here now than 11 years ago, gate 52 was the one by the commisary gate, if you remember where that is. Southeast corner of post

Drewd

Jul 25, 2008
Colorado
From what I've heard, it is a lot nicer here now than 11 years ago, gate 52 was the one by the commisary gate, if you remember where that is. Southeast corner of post
Ok,
Many 'fond' memories of stumbling back to my BOQ while eating Yaki-Mondu to clear out the Soju from Polly's kettle on hooker hill. Darn taxi's weren't allowed on base and no on base taxi service that late in the evening.

Horacio

Jun 3, 2011
Korea
Ok,
Many 'fond' memories of stumbling back to my BOQ while eating Yaki-Mondu to clear out the Soju from Polly's kettle on hooker hill. Darn taxi's weren't allowed on base and no on base taxi service that late in the evening.
Oh yes, just described every friday and saturday. except that taxis run 24/7 and are allowed on post now. but the drinking age has been put back to 21. and there is no curfew

Drewd

Jul 25, 2008
Colorado
Horacio,
I was with 17th AVN brigade and we had a curfew back in 97-98. I remember doing a curfew check to make sure none of my soldiers were violating it and was surprised to see most of brigade staff partying well past it. I commanded an ATC company based out of the UN compound next to the Crown hotel