lifan motor

GoldenMotor.com

Elixys

Sep 14, 2010
Midland, TX
saw a good deal on a lifan motor 150cc and wanted to know if anyone had tried to put that big a motor on a bicycle? im sure it can be done and if bidding goes well Ill have the motor in about 3 weeks.....im just worried about how fast im going to kill myself on the thing once i get it installed.....but best not to count the chickens before they hatch i suppose. still got to obtain the motor.....may have to build a custom frame for it..wee......i picture something like that happening and then this.bf. or this.duh.

hurricane

Sep 20, 2010
america
wow 150 cc on a bike frame ? please have some one video tape this accident waiting to happen. I will get my popcorn.

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
That is gonna be fun! Don't forget the bigaz brakes. Not sure about your bike, but using an engine like this is what some of us prefer. Mine is only a 50cc and does over 50mph, so be careful.

Attachments

hurricane

Sep 20, 2010
america
Holy carp Cival,did you build that one yourself ? If so much kudo's that is one perfectly fit motor to bike frame match Ive seen in along time.

Hope you dont mind but I kept this picture for future inspiration.

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
Holy carp Cival,did you build that one yourself ? If so much kudo's that is one perfectly fit motor to bike frame match Ive seen in along time.

Hope you dont mind but I kept this picture for future inspiration.
Thanks, hurricane! Yep, I did all of that one. That is my pride and joy. Thanks for the compliments, and of course you can keep a pic.

http://motorbicycling.com/f40/atv-50cc-full-auto-stretch-13417.html

Here's a link to the build thread, if you're interested.

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
Yeah, it is kind of long. There are several pictures of the finished product on page 8, if you want a better look without reading all of it.

Elixys

Sep 14, 2010
Midland, TX
hrmmmm......i think it can be done so im going to attempt it......ill need a different type of bike frame though......need a frame with 13in. wide/16in tall/15in long/ in frame clearance. anyone know where i can get a frame like that? im sure they make them......

Elixys

Sep 14, 2010
Midland, TX
I put a 150cc honda clone engine in one of my minitrails and it does 75mph! Are you talking about one of the 4 or single speed engines?
heres the specs,
150cc LIFAN High Performance Engine, Black Chrome, 4 stroke, 5 speed manual, air-cooled, electric start/kick start, single-cylinder, CDI ignition.
SPECIFICATIONS
Exterior Finish: Black Chrome
Type: single cylinder, 4-stroke air-cooled
Bore x Stroke: 61mm x 49.5mm
Displacement: 144.7ml
Compression ratio: 9.2 to 1
Max. HP: 12.0 HP @ 9,500 rpm
Idle: 1,500 RPM
Oil capacity: 8L (10w-30)
Start Mode: electric/kick
Weight: 64 pounds
Clutch: Manual
Gears: 5 speed, Constant Mesh
Ratios: 2.769/1.882/1.400/1.130/0.960
Magneto: Permanent magnetic
Voltage: 12 Volt

The 26incher

Dec 19, 2009
Pepeekeo, HI
Oh, so it the XR200 clone not the CT70 engine. If you are going that route, get the 200cc or the 250cc. Same size on the outside, just bigger in the inner...

Elixys

Sep 14, 2010
Midland, TX
well first things first i need to get a frame that i can mount it into....
any ideas as to maybe a stretch cruiser frame or you think im going to have to do some mods to a couple of the frames i have around

Last edited:

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
With that much power I would not mount that in a standard bicycle frame. I would build a custom bicycle frame specifically for that motor. Hydraulic disc brakes front and back and if it has to be a rigid frame at least get a front shock. It would be better as a full suspension build, in my own humble opinion of course.

How ever you decide to do it I will be following this build now.

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
NunyaBidness said:
With that much power I would not mount that in a standard bicycle frame. I would build a custom bicycle frame specifically for that motor. Hydraulic disc brakes front and back and if it has to be a rigid frame at least get a front shock. It would be better as a full suspension build, in my own humble opinion of course.

How ever you decide to do it I will be following this build now.
i agree a bicycle with this kinda power deserves a custom built frame up to specs made the same amount of material of a steel frame but built with chromoly instead for added strength and rigidness
if you wanna go all out use push though axles for strength double walled heavy duty wheels and hydraulic disk brakes front and rear with emergancy v brakes set up to a dual brake lever with a lock button to act as parking brake

then after all that you can work on a lighting system to make your ride street legal turn signal brake light tail light hi/lo beam headlights and a horn

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
That is gonna be fun! Don't forget the bigaz brakes. Not sure about your bike, but using an engine like this is what some of us prefer. Mine is only a 50cc and does over 50mph, so be careful.
Yeah. What he said. Really good brakes. There will quickly come a time when you want to stop fast way much more than you want go fast.

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
Yeah. What he said. Really good brakes. There will quickly come a time when you want to stop fast way much more than you want go fast.
You ain't just whistlin' dixie either. Seems like there are a lot of people out there that think simply because you are on a bike that you have no right to expect to be a part of "on coming traffic", if they want to turn and you are coming they will go ahead and turn in spite of you being "on coming traffic".

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
nunyabidness said:
Seems like there are a lot of people out there that think simply because you are on a bike that you have no right to expect to be a part of "on coming traffic", if they want to turn and you are coming they will go ahead and turn in spite of you being "on coming traffic"
i deal with this every time i go out on the road i try to stay next to cars on the road and use them a s a barrier against oncoming traffic trying to turn
alot of drivers turn despite seeing us us i think its cause they just dont expect us to be going so fast

another thing that scares me is when a car pulls up to the road and wants to turn right (same way im going) and starts to pull out and has to brake cause they suddenly realize we will collide or even worse when they dont give a **** and just go ahead and pull out anyway

in my experiences of avoiding car vs bicycle accidents it is almost always the drivers lack of attention or judgment that has put me in jeopardy i really cant think of one incedant that was my fault but i can think of several times i have had to avoid being run over from retard drivers

allen wrench said:
Yeah. What he said. Really good brakes. There will quickly come a time when you want to stop fast way much more than you want go fast
for sure if you wanna be safe stoping power is a must our lives depend on them but having good brakes is only part of the equation i wear a safety vest and have lights on my bike so there is no excuse to not being seen

Elixys

Sep 14, 2010
Midland, TX
well first things first, i still have two days until the sale closes on the motor. if I dont get out bid, then i should have the motor in after about 2 weeks max. i sent a pm to sportscarpat and axed him how much it would cost me to get a customized drop loop bike frame and gas tank for it. if the price is right, ill use that as my frame for this bike. :)....oooh if i get it going this is going to be one heck of a build......ill have to get a digital camera so i can start posting some pics......but im getting ahead of myself. still have to get that motor.