I'm Restoring a late 40's Rocket - Then comes the motor....

GoldenMotor.com

Mike GeniuS

Oct 27, 2010
florida
It's a late 40's Monark Rocket. It was bought from Pep Boys in NYC in 1950 by my grandfather for my dad's 15th birthday. It's been in my family for 60+ years, & now that it's handed down to me I think that it's time to Restore it. Since i'm a mechanic by trade, & we have 2 whizzer powered bikes i've rebuilt already, well, it's a no-brainer. Besides, tell me this thing wouldn't be the most awsome motorized bike ever! Can't wait to get started....gotta collect a few things first.......

Attachments

Last edited:

Mike GeniuS

Oct 27, 2010
florida
Thanks. When it's done it should ride (& look) more like a motorcycle than a bicycle.

Bikes are cool but motors rule...

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
That bike is gorgeous as is, and I look forward to seeing the motorized version.
Your Monark is the first non-Whizzer family airloom I've seen on the forum.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
That is a great looking bike. Perfect for a motor. It would be awesome to use an American engine of similar vintage. A cast iron Briggs may be a little heavy, but I've done quite a few with aluminum 5hp B&S motors. They don't come in a kit, but perform and feel great. Check my threads for photos if you're interested.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
That is a great looking bike. Perfect for a motor. It would be awesome to use an American engine of similar vintage. A cast iron Briggs may be a little heavy, but I've done quite a few with aluminum 5hp B&S motors. They don't come in a kit, but perform and feel great. Check my threads for photos if you're interested.
I know it's a lot of work to do a kind of tutorial, but if you ever do another 5 hsp build, please take lots of step by step photos and when you have the time post them and some commentary on what we're looking at. I agree your bikes sure do look 'right' as old motorbikes. I know there'd be lots of interest if it looks like something less than rocket science to the uninitated and looks doable to those of us with some skill and experience in other kinds of builds. That would be awesome.
SB

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Thanks, SB. I've got two friends I'm helping build bikes now and at least one of them is going to post photos as they go. Also, I'm doing a couple more and will supply more photos and commentary. May be what Mike GenuiS in looking for.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
msrfan,
That's a cool bike and an interesting one to study, from the belt drive to the never before seen by me sidewall generator in back. I see a frame modification in the engine compartment, an interesting engine component shroud and very much like how the motor fills up that cantilever frame. Has a kind of Whizzer look to it which sets it back a number of decades in appearance. It looks like it would be a terrific ride. Yes, a nice build thread would be great to follow. An American motor, imagine that. Are the aluminum ones still made in the USA? Seems like so few things are anymore.
SB

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Hey, SB, it's fashioned after a Whizzer. The frame mod is to hold the pivot for the center pulleys. My son made the shroud for me. I think they still make the motors in Milwaukee. It is a great ride with the Shelby internally sprung fork. I just posted more photos of my next build.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Msrfan, my favorite bike accessory. 1954 I lived in a small one main street town in northern Ontario. They make a heck of a racket at 3am on a summers morning. My pal who was with me on that little escapade, father owned the hardware store and fortunately had sold enough of them that the town cop couldn't nail any one kid.
It was fun to look back and see all the lights come on in the apartments over the stores.

When it was mentioned in my parents bowling alley everone was looking at me.
Yep, they are loud. And a lot of fun.

Steve.

Mike GeniuS

Oct 27, 2010
florida
I'm gonna post this bike through the whole process. I have to work on other things - 2 harleys, a xs1100, a magna v45 & I'll be doing this bike at the same time.
My Dad rode the bike a few weeks ago. He said it brought back alot of memories. He thinks it's great that I have it & I am willing to restore it. He got it back from my uncle in the mid 80's, then he moved to Fl, & it stayed in storage at a house my brother was renting. Well, my brother didn't care about it, left it outside in the weather for the time he was there, and as soon as I saw it out there, I took it.

Mike GeniuS

Oct 27, 2010
florida
I think it's also pretty cool that the bike is a legacy with a history you know from your own family. What's your dad think of your project?
SB
He Rode the bike a few weeks ago for the first time in 25 years! He was so happy to see it again, he said it brought back alot of memories, he couldn't believe i rescued it. He's glad I want to restore it, he said when he was a kid, my grandfather had to spend a couple of weeks pay on it. When he got it for christmas in 1950 I guess it was alot of money back then. If it wasn't for my uncle saving it for him all those years,(until the mid 80's), it wouldn't be here today. Believe it or not, I'm the only one in my family to see how important this old bike was, & I am proud to have it.

Last edited:

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
They are important. My dad bought an old Clipper from a guy in his trailer park back in the 70's. It was hard to pedal so we went to a junkyard and found a smaller front sprocket. Lucky it had an even number of teeth because I had to grind every other one off to fit his skip tooth chain. He used it for exercise until he got too old to keep his balance and gave it to me. I was stupid and sold it to a friend and have been trying to buy it back ever since.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
SB, I got the siren off ebay. The most common are Persons Majestic. The older ones with the little heart shape cutouts on the bottom spin the best. They go from around $25 to $75 if they have the pull chain and all the brackets.