Painting the removable plates on the engine?

GoldenMotor.com

MotorNut123

Aug 31, 2010
New York
When I swap my motor over this winter to a cruiser I'm thinking of painting the plates on the motor (clutch plates....etc) just to add that final little touch. Has anyone ever done this? Does it look nice and make the motor pop? Just thought i'd see!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
It looks good and you don't need high temp paint. Use whatever paint you would use on your frame.
Just a suggestion but why not paint the engine crankcase along with the covers? It blends everything together that much better.
Good luck and post some photos of your finished project.
Tom

Last edited:

Maxvision

Jun 13, 2009
San Diego, CA
If you really want to ad some pizazzz, polished covers are the way to go!

Start with 120 grit wet and dry sand paper wrapped around a flat piece of wood (so you don't get hills and valleys). Be sure to rinse the paper often so it doesn't load up. Once you get past all the dimples and casting deformities reduce grit to 220, then 320 untill you get all the deep scratchs out. Then a buffing wheel with buffing compound (I use white diamond, cuts almost as fast as Tripoli but leaves it with a finish shine).

If you don't have access to a buffing wheel, with ALOT more work you can reduce sanding paper to 400, then 600. Rubbing compound with LOTS and LOTS and LOTS of elbow grease will give you the finish shine.

Shiney Side.jpg

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Quote: If you don't have access to a buffing wheel, with ALOT more work you can reduce sanding paper to 400, then 600. Rubbing compound with LOTS and LOTS and LOTS of elbow grease will give you the finish shine.

I've looked everywhere and no one carries, 'Elbow Grease'. Can I use NeverDull instead? :)
Actually it is/was a good product. I think maybe the EPA has outlawed something they used to put in it because it just doesn't seem to work like it used to; and it smells like kerosene. Nevertheless, lacking a buffing wheel and compound, a good quality metal polish with said, elbow grease, (arm power), a decent finish can be achieved, after sanding the surface smooth as Maxivision suggested. Good luck. Let us know how it comes out.
Tom

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
I got some really fine microfinish alum. oxide paper strip ,its like touching a non waxed car,smooth ,no dust,but you know something s thereI think they used it on the HT cranks so you know its not worn out lol,kind of like frosted glass only less drag the marking on it is 20 w/a ushaped symbil behind it