Clutch STILL not working

GoldenMotor.com

ncfootballchamp

Aug 29, 2010
USA
I tried to follow these instructions:

Adjusting the clutch:
1. Adjust clutch cable so there is only a little bit of slack in the inner wire when the hand lever is released all the way out.
2. Remove gear case cover from right side of engine.
3. Remove lock screw from clutch outer plate. It's the little screw that fits into the notches on the edge of the center nut (called a flower nut).
4. Squeeze in clutch hand lever until it touches the hand grip. Hold it in with the lock button or some tape or a piece of wire, zip-ty, ect.
5. While pushing in on the outer clutch plate with one hand, tighten the flower nut until snug, just using your fingertips. Do not use pliers, ect.
6. Unscrew flower nut 1/2 to 1 turn out, aligning a notch on the flower nut with the hole in the outer clutch plate that the lock screw goes into.
7. Install lock screw but don't tighten it just yet.
8. Remove tape or wire from hand lever and let it release all the way out.
9. Tighten lock screw for flower nut.
10. Adjust clutch cable if necessary to give just a little free play to the inner cable when the hand lever is all the way out. You should be able to wiggle the clutch release arm a little.
11. Install gear case cover and test ride. Every clutch is a little different.
You may have to fine tune the adjustment of the flower nut by a few notches.

When I pull in my clutch, the big silver disc does not move, however the flower knut moves out. After step 4 in GearNut's "Adjusting The Clutch" instructions, I cannot follow them for whatever reason.

Is my engine installed correctly? I ordered it from BikeBerry.com (2010 chinese whateveritscaled engine)

Should I call them and ask for a new engine? Or am i dong something wrong?
Thanks for the help

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Try this: Put everything back together as before you started. Remove the clutch actuator cover, the one covering the chain and sprocket. There is a steel pin, or should be, protruding from the center of the sprocket. Using a soft headed, plastic, hammer or a block of wood to protect the pin, give it a couple of good solid raps with the hammer. As was said above, often the clutch pads are stuck from the factory and storage. A few solid raps on the pin will usually free the pads and allow the clutch to function properly. Get back to us with the results.
Also, I don't like to see any free play in the clutch actuator arm. I'd rather see the cable snug, and no free movement in the arm with the handlebar lever released. Set you cable adjustment to the end of free movement and fine tune from there, but start with a snug cable. Not bow string tight, but no slack.

Tom

ncfootballchamp

Aug 29, 2010
USA
alright i took the plate off as well as the flower nut; i think the plate was stuck because I pried it and then felt the spring's pressure. Despite this, the clutch STILL is not disengaging the gear. To be clear, with the clutch engaged, I still cannot pedal the bike without the engine moving as well. What Is wrong with my engine?

Thank you for the help. It is very much appreciated

PS 2door, i tried your suggestion and It didnt work either :(

insomniacshotrods

Sep 26, 2008
I just took alook at a new motor i have in the house,took off cover and used a wrench to move the clutch arm. All that moved was the flower nut, then i went all the way over as far as it would gently move and after about 6 times it freed the clutch pad and now works like it should.. Hope you can do same..let us know

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I just took alook at a new motor i have in the house,took off cover and used a wrench to move the clutch arm. All that moved was the flower nut, then i went all the way over as far as it would gently move and after about 6 times it freed the clutch pad and now works like it should.. Hope you can do same..let us know
What he said and did usually works. One of the most common misconseptions about the two stroke engine is the amount of pressure required to disengage the clutch. Many will not believe that the handlebar lever/cable will produce enough force to move the clutch actuator arm enough but it will if properly adjusted. Trust me, the handlebar lever can easily provide more pressure than you can achieve with your fingers.
Many new engines display the 'stuck clutch' problem and forcing the clutch actuator arm inward will often un-stick (free) the sticky pads. It takes a lot of hand pressure, more than many guys want to apply but you will not hurt anything by forcing the arm with hand pressure. Wrap the arm with a rag to protect your hand and go for it. You won't hurt anything and probably will free up a stuck clutch.
Tom

Last edited:

4950cycle

Sep 8, 2010
Dunnellon,FL.
I am having the same problem with my new just installed Skyhawk 66cc (80). I have finally got my clutch to disengauge , But I have to pull the clutch lever (on the handle bar) so hard that there is no way the clutch cable is going to stand for this very long. Geeezz, What do these things have ? Wiesco drag racing clutch springs for a Ninja 1400 in them ? ! Is there any way I can do a spring change to make a enjoyable ride out of this motor bike instead of a constant problem child ?

insomniacshotrods

Sep 26, 2008
I oil my cable and remove the little spring that goes on by the clutch arm. I keep the bigger spring as it keeps the cable off the engine heat. Also make sure the part the cable goes into on the engine is inline with the cable and not cockeyed putting drag on cable..