input

GoldenMotor.com

city of angels

May 24, 2009
tucson az
i am trying to find some input on what do you guys .trkr.ly.r.ly.think a motorized bike should look like my friend is trying to figure out whats the hottest thing on the market for motorized bicycles i know most of you go for performance but i want to hear from other people one thing hes trying to come up with a bike that people can afford i being getting alot of emails about my trike convertion some people ask me about my exasut on my trike any sugestion i will really apreciated

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Style-wise?

It's kinda hard to tell what with ease of build & price being the apparent priority for many, but my gut feeling regarding "look" goes something like this (not my opinion for or against - jus' what I've observed lol);

#1: Choppers
#2: Boardtrackers/vintage
#3: Cruisers
#4: Mountain bikes
#5: Other

Like I said tho - it's jus' a gut feeling as there's a bunch of factors in play that may be more "important" than look when folks build a bike themselves, not just price or even ease of build - but what type of riding style, region, engine type, tool and resource access & experience, etc, etc, etc. Building a stylie ride tends to be later, after they've built at least one and dug it so the stats may be skewed.

As an example, I really like the trikes & bikes with sidecars... but they way the roads are around here they'd be problematic as we've no shoulders to speak of lol, whereas in Arizona that may not be such a problem - but I'd want a rippin' off-roader were I there *shrug*

Best bet? A selection - ppl like all sortsa different stuff, including options in pricing ;)

Last edited:

city of angels

May 24, 2009
tucson az
thanks for the quick reply i think you are right about your sugestion i am just trying to find what people like that way i could pass the information along that way he could come up with a bike that people will like

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Another question to answer is who are the bikes to be built for? Young people interested in cool and speed? Middle age riders maybe looking at it more as affordable transportation plus fun. Old timers who remember fat wheeled cruisers from their youth and who may be more interested in comfort than speed? Not that no old timers like speed, and some of the young may be very interested in reliable transportation more than coolness. Who are the customers? Often the young don't have any money. Middle aged make more, but also have greater expenses with families, buying a home, etc. The well off and retired folks may have more money available to spend on something they like. Your question isn't a simple one, but is wise to ask. Another way to go about it might be to just build the bike as if it is for you, to please your sensibilities and tastes. Let the bike attract the buyer who it appeals to, in other words. That's my strategy.
Silverbear

city of angels

May 24, 2009
tucson az
thank you silverbear yes i am trying to find some input for him that way i could pass the information to him his trying to come up with a bike that everybody can afford that way they could have a decent trasportation to go to work or go to the crocery store

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
C of A,
If any of the bikes you or your friend build look as good as your trike, they'll sell.
I agree with Silver Bear in that bike styles can often be catagorized by the target age group. Personally I like the old school cruiser look such as those built by Bairdco, Barley Awake and Silver Bear. I also am attracted to the cafe racer style and the boardtrackers. As they say, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". Good luck with your venture.
Tom

city of angels

May 24, 2009
tucson az
thank you 2 door yes i will pass down this information to him all of the work his has done for me has been really apreciated i dont know what i will do with out him he ahs help me out alot it past couple of months thank you once again