Can I get going with out pedaling?

GoldenMotor.com

greekfreak

Mar 20, 2010
virginia
I have the 80cc kit on my motorbike using a 36t sprocket and the newer style clutch lever, I want to know if there is something I need to get the bike going without having to pedal everytime im at a stop. Any help would be appreciated :)

greekfreak

Mar 20, 2010
virginia
So it wouldnt be worth buying the centrifugal clutch? Wouldnt I just be able to ride the clutch a little longer to get it going? or would that eat the clutch up quick?

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I guarantee that if I had ever taken the centrifugal clutch off my old moped, I'd just have to pedal. Or get a good gearbox. Up there ↑ is your answer: shift kit, centrifugal clutch, or twiddle your toes.
*Hey everybody, I know Sick Bike Parts have the best jack shafts and shift kits, but for the centrifugal clutch - would that be That's Dax's turf. I think I saw 'em there. Help me out.

PS - I just saw the latest. Never mind, if you got a 36T, you may very well be needing a shift kit.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
So it wouldnt be worth buying the centrifugal clutch? Wouldnt I just be able to ride the clutch a little longer to get it going? or would that eat the clutch up quick?
You can get away with momentary 2-3 second clutch actions without a problem. If you slip the clutch for a prolonged time the pads will rapidly wear out. With a 36T, from a dead stop, you are looking at prolonged clutch feathering in order to get going with a 36T sprocket.

Jim

Last edited:

pdubs

Jan 16, 2010
chicago
keep in mind that when using a pull start and/or centrifugal clutch you will need offset crank arms or an extended spindle. i just put a pullstart on my jackshaft bike, works great. oh, and i slow roll stop signs using the clutch without pedaling :D

but even at a dead stop i pedal to get it going.. if you ever drove anything with a clutch you can tell how long you can slip it out.

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
keep in mind that when using a pull start and/or centrifugal clutch you will need offset crank arms or an extended spindle. i just put a pullstart on my jackshaft bike, works great. oh, and i slow roll stop signs using the clutch without pedaling :D

but even at a dead stop i pedal to get it going.. if you ever drove anything with a clutch you can tell how long you can slip it out.
Great info! I've been searching for some cheap short crank arms but nothing.Could you recommend somewhere for square taper arms?

the new ausped

Feb 10, 2010
australia
whats wrong with a bit of peddling? look on the bright side at least you dont have to pedal every ware...

maybee if you, leant way over the handlebars peaked the rpms and dropped the clutch it might work

HseLoMein

Oct 30, 2008
Boston, MA
I have the 80cc kit on my motorbike using a 36t sprocket and the newer style clutch lever, I want to know if there is something I need to get the bike going without having to pedal everytime im at a stop. Any help would be appreciated :)
you can always get off the bike, disengage the clutch, run with said bike and when you feel you are moving fast enough, jump on the bike, get situated, dump the clutch and take off

or

you can sit on the bike and walk it while sitting down, its a funny looking manuver but my buddy does it all the time, he took off his pedal chain. some of the guys who were at the CT rally last year, called it that wadling duck maneuver.

:)